Chapter Six

It's been nearly a week after my incident with the figure in the trees. I put on my usual attire and fix my hair into a bun. I look at my reflection fixing my apron and pull away a loose hair strand out of my face. I decide that I look presentable and I walk out the door. Dark clouds that almost turn day into night wait for me outside. I begin sprinting right away not wanting to be caught in this storm. 

This past week hasn't been so bad despite having to be with Isabella for a few days. She barely notices me and spends a majority of her time talking to Beatrice. I'm usually sent out to get them a snack or something to drink. I don't like the idea of having to serve Beatrice but anything to keep the peace at this point. I also get assigned to do petty tasks like fetching Isabella some hot water to bathe in. She doesn't mind stripping off her clothes in front of us to bathe which I find rather odd. I couldn't see myself bathing in front of people no matter how well I know them. No matter how beautiful my body is or isn't I don't have the confidence. 

I make my way to the castle and I meet Lukas already at work in the garden. He's kneeling down weeding the garden. There is a smile plastered on his face. I know he loves his job but not this much. 

"What's got you in a good mood?" I ask.

"I may be dismissed early because of the storm."

"Lucky you," I smile back. 

"Everyone might be dismissed. There are some rumors going around," he responded.

"Why?"

"The storm is going to be a big one so it will be hard for people to work outside. Since most of the tasks were done yesterday in the castle there isn't much today for you and the rest of the underlings. The only people stuck at work of course is Pierre and Louise, but they don't seem to mind."

"That's good if we are dismissed would you like to come over and eat stew with me?" 

"Are you flirting with me?" Lukas asks.

"Obviously," I reply.

"It's true, the only way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Lukas rises up off the earth and lends out his arm to me. I wrap my hands around it and he leads me to the great hall.

"Well, then I must be a man because that's the only way to my heart too."

Breakfast has been served only a moment before we arrive. We sit at the end table in our new favorite spot. Far from Gabriel but he doesn't seem to mind me missing from my usual spot beside him. Actually, he doesn't seem to mind not speaking to me in a little bit over a week either. It kind of hurts, but I pretend not to mind. 

The way I feel about him isn't the only thing I pretend that I'm over. I haven't told anyone about the mysterious man I saw. It still bothers me thinking someone could follow me home again and possibly do worse next time they see me. I plan on talking to Lukas about it later. I would have already but we haven't had much time to talk. He's been so caught up with the garden and I've been caught with my own duties as well. 

We have already fixed our plates and begin to eat when Gabriel stands up. Everyone's attention goes from their food and directly to him.

"As many of you know the weather intends to get worse knocking some people out of work today. I know everyone has been working very hard lately, and I am happy to release you all for today. You're free to do as you please. Dinner will be cooked at the same time if you want to come in and eat." Everyone claps their hands rejoicing for the day to themselves. 

"Calm down now. I'm not finished," Gabriel hushes us. "Not tomorrow but the day after, I will be meeting with mother. If you haven't written a letter yet to someone on the outside you hold dear, do so now or tomorrow. Don't wait until I'm about to leave. With that, you are all now dismissed."