Chapter 9: The Truth Unfolds

(AN: Got bit of a writer's block so sorry for taking a while to post. I went back and edited and changed some things in this chapter, I'll be posting the one soon)

We'll Meet Again: Vera Lynn

Evelyn's POV

     I stare towards the ground as my vision goes in and out. The slam of doors hardly catches my attention as the sound of footsteps grows louder. Slowly, I glance up to see Judge Renslayer standing before me. "I thought this was Mobius' job. Didn't want to get your hands dirty." I remark, tiredly.

     She makes her way to the table and leans on it. "Couldn't have him start getting doubts."

     "Oh? Doubts about me or doubts that this is all a lie and the Time Keepers can go-?" A hand comes in contact with my cheek, the force of it turns my head to the side as it quickly starts to sting. My vision blurs once again from the pain and involuntary tears welling up in my eyes from the strike. I slowly face her with a smirk but stay quiet nevertheless.

     "Now," she pulls her hand back, recollecting herself then moves to the other side of the table. "Why don't we make a deal?" She sits in the chair across from me and crosses her hands. "You comply and tell me what I want to hear, and I'll tell you what you want." I don't reply. Renslayer takes my silence as an answer and smiles. "Good."

     "Let me out first," I interrupt, raising my hands to show the cuffs, "then I'll talk."

     She raises her brows, unamused as I continue to hold my gaze. Eventually, she glances over them, considering, until finally pulling out her TemPad reluctantly. The restraints make a click then pop off. "Now, where is the TemPad?" She demands.

     I rub my sore wrists and stare at her, upset at myself for making a deal. "It's broken," I answer, not breaking my gaze. "Where's Sylvie?"

     "The Variant," she spats, as if correcting me, "is not to be disturbed." Quickly losing my patience, I roll my eyes. "When did you first become compromised?"

     "If you mean when was the first time someone told me the truth? Then in Lamenits; after I tried to kill her because I was controlled by the TVA," she tries to interrupt but I continue talking over, "who kidnapped me-"

     "Enough-." Renslayer cuts in only for me to speak louder.

     "And erased my memories-!"

     "T-27-!"

     "My name is Evelyn!" I snap, slamming my hands on the table.

      Judge Renslayer jumps, shocked at my sudden outburst as guards rush over. She motions for them to wait and they do so, still watching me hesitantly. "So you keep saying." She remarks in a reserved tone. The sudden movement causes another wave of dizziness but I continue to glare daggers into her head. Taking a few deep breaths to cool down, I slump back into my chair which she takes as her cue to continue. "Is Mobius in on any of this?" She asks, getting right back to work.

      I cross my arms and let out a sarcastic chuckle, turning to the side. "No. He's too stubborn no matter who it is telling him." The image of our last encounter and how he flinched when I was crying out in pain but did nothing of it plays on repeat in my head. "He didn't even care," I mumble, mostly to myself. Looking up, I meet Renslayers' gaze. A smirk is slightly visible on her smug face. I straighten myself, pushing all intrusive thoughts away and return to my previous demeanor. "Now," I draw her attention back, "what are you going to do with Loki?"

      "What I should have done long ago." With this, I jump out of my seat and towards her but she's too fast and pulls out her TemPad, sending me back onto the chair. The guards rush over and handcuff me once again as I keep my glare on Renslayer. "Put on alert that nobody is to engage with T-27." She informs the guards then fixes her blazer. "She is compromised and hostile." The doors slam once more leaving me alone as my anger fades and fear starts to creep in.