Chapter Eleven

PAY ATTENTION TO THE ITALICS!!!   Italics indicate the past, while normal indicates the present.The two ship names that were chosen were Kaivy and Ivayne!!! I'm asking the big question now because I want to see if I can get more balance than before. Snowfall was about 200 while Scarlan had only 30. SO Team Kaivy or Ivayne?

Chapter Eleven

Even from here, I could hear the screaming and see the billows of smoke rising to the sky. Each time I heard a gunshot, I couldn't help but flinch.

I had shifted into my leopardess form and crouched as lowly as I could, but it didn't ease the worry stirring within me. All I could do was wish Kai was here with me now, just like last time, despite how selfish it was.

It was hard to stay here, in the present, when so much of it reminded me of the past. It wasn't much longer before the two collided, the past overpowering the present.

Kai's body surrounding mine was warm, despite the chill in the air. His body was comforting and reminded me that it was only us out here.

We were deep within the forest that sat next to the village. We were completely surrounded by it with nothing in sight but the green foliage and the brown dirt that held it where it stood.

From here, I couldn't see the villag or heard its noise. It was different,because I'd grown used to the never-ending sounds. The singing, laughter, and bickering were all part of my life, part of me.

The silence that I could hear was now off-putting and worrying. If there was ever silence in the village, it was only because it foreshadowed or fell after something bad happened.

I could feel a pair of lips on my hair, momentarily distracting me. My eyes closed and I leaned closer to him, his arms tightening in response. Although I didn't approve of what we were doing, I did find it relaxing.

It had begun with a kiss, out in public. Kai didn't care, but the elders all disapproved and gave us looks that conveyed they did. They told him, and me, that giving me affection so often would give me little reason to complete the mating ritual. Why complete it when I already received the affection?

Kai usually listened or, rather, pretended to, but today had been different. He'd been annoyed with their judgement and told them he would handle the situation how he liked, not their way.

He'd even challenged them by continuously peppering me with kisses throughout the day. While I loved the affection, I knew it would only result in trouble for him. I even tried to tell him that, but of course, he only proceeded to ignore me.

He was then called into his home by his mother, our leader since her mate died. She'd been getting complaints from elders about his behavior and couldn't let it go. He was disciplined and when he came back, he appeared cool and collected. However, I could see his stiff posture and the storm that was raging in his eyes.

Kai had then pulled me aside and said that he wanted me to meet him at the edge of the village. He wanted to spend time with his südame away from the judgement and disapproval of others.

After much talking, Kai convinced me to go with him. We met and then he took me through the forest. I had asked him when he knew to stop, and he'd smiled and told me when all he could hear was the beating of our hearts.

So here we were, Kai sitting against a tree with me sitting in-between his legs, curled up as close as I could possibly get. His arm was around me while his other hand played with my hair, twisting it around his finger and watching it fall before beginning again.