Prologue

Prologue

Within our lives, we gain a contrast of aspects and traits that can either provide us that little push we need or continuously set us back. They're the beckoning stars when it's too dark to see and the roots lying in wait to make us stumble.

Greed is a dirty, twisted root lying in wait, unnoticed until you're confused and wounded. It is a relentless, bottomless pit desiring your all and most certainly, your attention. Greed will draw you away from your loved ones, disguised as a mesmerizing temptress in a dark alley. You can never fully extinguish her from your life, of course, as she promises you everything when you first lay your eyes upon her. The best method is to simply turn away from Greed and remember how you got where you are without her.

Greed works hand-in-hand with her lover, Selfishness. He's as destructive as her, but he doesn't care for formality or slyness. He makes his intentions known from the start, without a care for you or others. Selfishness works alone and for no other.

However, sometimes the same stars that beckon us are what allow us to see the outline of hidden roots before we stumble. They guide us and prevent us from falling downhill.

One of the brightly-lit stars is Perseverance. He twinkles and laughs high above your window as you work on the essay your teacher will announce is actually a test grade, not a minor. He was there to coax and talk to you as you worked long, hard nights at the office, which would later result in your very large promotion. He's always there for us, in the sky. It's your choice whether you listen to his voice or not.

Then, lit just as brightly and hidden behind Perseverance is Patience. She works alongside Perseverance, not requiring credit. It's why so many of us commonly forget about her, but she doesn't mind. She still smiles upon us so fondly, guiding us with her gentle touch. She deserves recognition more often and to not be mistaken for her kind co-star, Perseverance. Until then, she waits behind him, never minding when he takes her spotlight.

When Patience is given the rare spotlight, she does anything but waste it. Her many efforts gradually start defining us as "caring" or "loving," but why is that? Neither one of the traits were the mastermind: Patience was. I suppose it's because we only reserve Patience for those we both love and care for. She's a valuable aspect, one we only allow few to see, if we're wise enough to listen to her.

Patience certainly doesn't speak loud enough to two of the Gordon boys. One prefers stumbling and lying with the roots, oblivious to the day that they'll snake around his neck until the last thing he sees is those twinkling stars. The other seems to either think Patience is invaluable or a mere myth. In fact, he's become known for his inability to work with her when he can simply follow Perseverance. However, to be fair, he has been caught sneaking away to visit Patience before seeing his cherished loved ones, which are more than a handful. He at least makes more of an effort than the other.

But the third brother, he is special. Instead of letting Perseverance guide him, he looked towards Patience, holding her advice close to his heart. He was favored and adored by her, letting her nature define him. He was called "caring," "loving," and sometimes even "patient." It was as if she was living vicariously through him. He became one of the most respected rulers because of this nature.

It's why I was sent to him instead of his swaying brothers. The Gordon's ability to work selflessly with Patience is why my life was spared.