Epilogue

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

Jack Thompson sat in his office at the SSR when he got a phone call that quite literally changed his life. As he set the phone done, ending the call, he finally reacted. 

With one fluid and violent motion, everything that was previously on his desk found itself on the floor. 

The fellow SSR agents looked up in shock. Curiosity decorated their faces. 

Thompson sat at his empty desk for a few moments, allowing a few stray tears to fall from his face. He hadn't known her long, but she was certainly special. 

Finally collecting himself, Thompson made his way to his agents. When he entered they all grew silent. Thompson's grey eyes sought out a certain pair of dark brown. 

"As of midnight last night, Agent Marlene S. Rogers is declared missing in action."

Peggy clasped her hand over her mouth before rushing from the room. She felt like the walls were closing in like she was suffocating. 

That day, Peggy Carter hadn't bothered returning to work. She didn't bother with anything, truly. She didn't bother with manners. She simply went where she wished. 

And that was to see the one person that would understand her pain. 

Howard Stark. 

At first, Howard believed it was some sick joke. However, he knew Peggy wasn't the type to do such a thing. 

It was the first time Peggy had seen Howard express any emotion other than arrogance. That day, he expressed anger, guilt, self-loathing, and grief. 

The news of Marlene Roger's death not only shocked the entire country but the world. While Steve Rogers was a symbol of freedom, Marlene Rogers is the symbol of equality. 

Parades were held in honor of the late Marlene Rogers. Monuments were built. Documentaries were made. War stories were told. Articles were written. 

Come time for her funeral, only a select few were present. 

"She was out Fox," Pinkerton had sniffled. "The one that kept us in line. The one that did what needed to be done."

"She deserved to live," Sousa said. He wasn't entirely sure why he was invited. While he and Marlene were friendly towards each other, they weren't exactly friends. They never got the chance to be. "She deserved to continue to inspire."

"I remember the day she saved us from Hydra is '43," Jim Mortia stated, his eyes red. He had flown halfway across the world to be there. He had spent most of his flight crying. "I thought she was going to die because all she had was a metal pipe. But she didn't. She won. She saved so many lives, mine included."