Welcome to the Little Town of Lillston

They had been driving for hours, and Bryson could feel hot irritation seeping through his mind. He knew it was because his stubborn self hated where they were going. Or, maybe it was because his little brother, Hunter, was constantly annoying his sister, Sophia, which would result in a tantrum every thirty minutes. Maybe he was irritated because he had no choice but to sit next to his brother and sister, and he had already been accidentally slapped in the face twice. Whatever the reason, he was not enjoying his Monday. Even the weather seemed to mimic his mood: the closer they got to their destination, the darker the sky became, and the heavier the clouds. Bryson pulled out his phone and checked if he had any service. He knew the answer before he turned it on: no service. It was most likely so because they were driving in the middle of nowhere, through plains and fields, occasionally passing cattle (during which Sophia would scream with excitement).

"Hey, look! We're here!" His mother smiled from the passenger seat, pointing to a large sign planted in the field.

Bryson was glad for a change of scenery, but the joy quickly faded as he looked at the sign. It read:

WELCOME TO THE LITTLE TOWN OF LILLSTON!

Where Everyone's Family

Bryson hated the sign. He hated the small town they were going to live in. He didn't have anyone to miss from where they were coming from, but he didn't want to leave his comfortable settings behind for a dumpy small town where everyone knows each other.

Sophia squealed with delight. "We're here!"

"Where is it?" Hunter asked, peering through the window so intently that he was mere centimeters away from Bryson's face.

"Just a little further," their mother said patiently.

"I turn here, right?" asked their father.

"Yes, down this road, then take a left," said their mother, gazing down at her phone for directions.

Bryson scowled as he tried to push his little brother away from him. They appeared to be on a long, wide main road of the town. Cheap clothing stores and spas lined the road, and there were department stores on every corner. A small therapy building was tucked away in a plaza. Heavy trees hid traditional houses, and cars lined the sides of the streets, as the driveways were too small. They turned, and Bryson thought he saw a community pool, with sparkling blue water. He was reluctant to admit that a community pool was one perk he hadn't had at his previous home.

Turning onto another street, Bryson noticed that though the community pool was near, thick trees blocked any view of it. The town should consider cutting some down, because the street they were on was dark despite the bright sun overhead. Not many people were out, and Bryson assumed that was because they all were at the pool. In a small town like Lillston, Bryson knew that the pool would be his only source of fun in the summers.

The car stopped in front of a one-story house covered by two thick oak trees in the front yard. Even from inside the car, Bryson could see the chipped mint-green paint on the panels of the house, and the smudged windows and leaf-clogged drains.

"Here it is!" their father exclaimed, jumping out of the car and slapping his hands together. "Let's unload the car." He popped open the trunk, gesturing for Bryson to get out of the car.

Bryson met his father's side and, with a grudge, grabbed his pillow and bag full of clothes. He almost knocked Sophia down when he turned to head for the house. His shoes dragged along the leaf-strewn yard, and there was a chill that threatened to evolve into a shiver at the base of his spine. The trees were too thick. He couldn't even feel the warmth of the sun.