1/1

When I was 5 years old, we had a Korean neighbor, whose daughter, for some reason I didn't know, was always having a sleepover at our place. I honestly liked the idea of a younger playmate, especially a girl. Since, I only have an older brother. A younger sister sounded great to me.

I expected a three-year-old to be cute and fun to play with. This three-year-old kid WAS indeed cute with her dimples always protruding out of her cheeks at the slightest movement, but she also refused to talk to me. For some reasons I didn't know, she hated my guts and so for that, I returned the feeling, especially when she had to sleep in my room whenever she had a sleepover.

'Ungrateful Brat!' I thought.

One day at dinner, Mom announced that the girl, whose name was Son Chaeyoung, was going to live with us permanently. I frowned at my mother and father. I didn't understand why. Didn't she have her own family? What about her own family? Nevertheless, I only asked one question.

"Is she going to sleep in my room?" I asked them.

"Of course! You guys have always shared a room! Why wouldn't you guys be sharing a room?" My mom replied.

"I can't accept this!" I protested. "It was fine when she stayed only for awhile, but permanently, I won't allow that!"

"Mina, that is not nice! I don't like your attitude right now!" My dad growled.

I might be dad's favorite, but if he started to talk in a threatening tone, I better shut up. So I sucked it up.

"I'ts fine, Auntie! I will sweep on the couch!" She cutely said.

That was the first time, I'd ever heard her voice. She was really the definition of a cute child. If only she was affectionate with me. I probably would've been happy, sharing a room with her, but she wasn't. She hated me, for no reason.

My 8-year-old older brother politely asked my family to leave the table and go to bed early and my mom allowed it. He bowed before leaving. In order to go to his room, he had to pass by me.

He purposefully went closer to me and muttered, "Freeloader"

I snorted.

"What's funny?" My mom asked.

"Nothing" I said.

One thing I noticed though, Chaeyoung was pretty mature for a three-year-old. My mom tried to feed her but she refused and ate by herself. Chaeyoung couldn't go to the kindergarten yet, but mom enrolled her in a preschool. I noticed how she wore her uniforms all by herself, even her own shoes. Her shoes didn't have laces, but it was still pretty impressive for a toddler.

My hunch that it was going to be horrible that she moved in was right. Times had passed and now Chaeyoung was in third grade. I was in sixth grade grade and Kai, my older brother was in ninth grade. Me and Kai hated her. Mom always compared us with Chaeyoung, because Chaeyoung always got good grades and was first in her class. Besides that, Chaeyoung also helped out with chores despite her young age.

Kai really wanted to kick her out, even filled me in on the idea on how to make her leave, but being a coward, I chickened out. Besides, both dad and mom seemed so fond of Chaeyoung. I didn't wanna risk getting grounded. At this point, it seemed like me and Kai were the ones, who weren't part of the family and Chaeyoung was the real "Myoui". Myoui is my family name.

Anyway, Kai moved out as soon as he turned 18, by going to a University abroad. I never saw him as happy as he was that day, when he left to his destination. I was jealous of him. I wished that I TOO could leave. If we couldn't make the girl leave, then might as well leave this house. But alas, I had to wait three more years till I finished high school.