Talk About Pressure

Start from the beginning

"I notice how there isn't any obvious damage to the cerebellum.", Shuri said, confused.

I noticed that too and zoomed in on the image a lot. I inspected it closely and didn't see any real damage either.

"Perhaps we should look at the forebrain now?", Shuri asked.

"Yes, we've crossed out the hindbrain being involved, for now at least.", I agreed.

"I know that this is the prefrontal cortex right here.", Shuri pointed out after spinning the hologram around.

"That is correct. I do think that it was targeted because it stores semantic memory.".

"Isn't semantic memory about our general world knowledge or facts that we possess as we grow? Like moral values?", Shuri asked.

"Yes.", I replied with a smile.

"So that might also explain why Bucky did what he did without thinking it was wrong. I mean, how can someone with moral values do that stuff? HYDRA probably targeted that part of his brain to remove any of his moral values.", Shuri concluded.

Nodding, I zoomed in on the hippocampus and gasped when I saw the amount of scarring on it. "What is it?", Shuri asked, concerned.

"Look at the amount of severe scarring on Bucky's hippocampus! Part of it's shredded!", I exclaimed in horror.

"Oh my! What function is the hippocampus part of that HYDRA that would obviously target it so much?", Shuri asked in shock.

"The hippocampus is involved with emotion. And it is associated with declarative, episodic, and recognition memory.", Shuri and I's eyes widened and we both wrote down a bunch of notes on our clipboard.

"No wonder why it's so damaged! Episodic memory is involved with important events in someone's life. Memories that someone is able to go back in time in their head and revisit. Recognition memory would've been wiped so that Bucky wouldn't remember the people that he killed or the people that he once knew!", Shuri exclaimed.

"And HYDRA targeted the hippocampus ability to store and recall long-term memory. Meaning that Bucky wouldn't be able to remember things from a long time ago because they wiped his brain so much!", I added.

"We need to start on this first. After we figure out the rest of Bucky's brain that we need to fix.", Shuri said. "I think we should take a quick break. I'm going to get some tea to help keep us awake.", scooting her chair back, she walked away, disappearing into another room.

I sighed and looked out at the pitch-black landscape before me. With only the distant metropolitan city's lights seen in the distance. I looked back at Bucky, eyes closed, a tranquil look on his face, even though there were tiny ice crystals around his face.

If you're thinking that I'm nervous, you're right. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment. I'm trying to fix Bucky's brain, restore memories and erase what HYDRA did. That is going to be very difficult to separate memories and what HYDRA did to him. And guess what? Shuri and I are going to have to make Bucky's brain regenerate brain cells, something that our brains literally cannot do. Talk about an anxiety attack.

I heard footsteps and I saw Shuri walking in with a platter. There was a large pitcher, two cups, and I'm guessing it was sugar in a bowl, along with two spoons. She set the platter down, "This tea contains three times the caffeine than coffee.".

My eyes widened, "Yes, please.", Shuri grinned and poured some in a cup. She slid it over to me and I put some sugar in. Stirring it for a few seconds, I set the spoon back on the silver platter. I tentatively took a sip and a feeling of warmth spread through my body. Eyes widening, I exclaimed, "I am never drinking coffee again.".