The Claw of Blades

Start from the beginning

"Careful, Baron." said Kai. "Any closer and I would have won."

Baron nodded. "Won't happen again."

Kai raised his sword. "I hope not."

They charged again, metal meeting metal. Eventually, their fight forced them out of the area they were fighting in, as they slowly moved towards the castle. Baron swung his sword and Kai avoided it by jumping on the balcony railing. Kai leapt up a moment later and the fight continued. First Kai was the one backing away, then Baron was the one being forced back as each of them tried to keep their balance on the railing.

"Wow, I never knew Baron could fight like this!" Haru cried excitedly. "This is incredible!"

Muta only looked half interested. "Yeah, I've seen him fight before, but his fights normally end quickly."

"As do Kai's." Lune added, looking anxious.

Seiji looked at Lune worriedly before turning back to the fight. "Can Baron beat him?"

Lune didn't take his eyes off the battle. "At first I thought he didn't stand a chance, but maybe, just maybe, he can do this."

Baron had jumped off the railing onto the balcony again, but Kai had remained where he was. This was difficult for both of them to keep fighting since Baron had to fight upward and Kai had to fight downward. But Kai knew to remain where he was until he had an opportunity to jump down.

That opportunity presented itself when Baron went for Kai's feet with the flat end of his blade so he wouldn't cut his opponent's feet off. Kai did a cartwheel in the air and landed behind Baron.

Baron moved to the side as Kai spun around and swung his sword, only to have it come in contact with the stone railing. Baron swung his sword and Kai caught it with his own. He pushed Baron back and began swinging his sword around in several complicated patterns. Baron, holding his sword out defensively, backed away from Kai's swinging sword as he looked for an opening in the movements.

Then Kai struck. Baron had not been expecting it and he lost his grip on his sword. Kai swung again, this time swinging his sword upward and making contact with Baron's weapon so it went flying out of his hands and over the railing.

Kai pointed his sword at the weaponless Baron. "Do you admit defeat? I would prefer not to hurt you."

Baron backed away, only taking his eyes off Kai's sword long enough to glance at the worried face of Louise, before returning them to the deadly weapon a few inches in front of him.

"No."

Kai sighed, looking upset. "Very well then. I will make the blow as quick and as painless as possible."

He swung his sword, aiming for Baron's arm. Baron dodged the blade and stepped back as Kai made another attempt to cut him in a nonfatal way. The Ex-Cat King was cheering Kai on the whole time.

"Oh yeah, slice 'em and dice 'em! Take him down to Chinatown!"

Louise was trembling in fear for her fiancé. "Stop it! Stop it please! I'll marry you! I'll do anything, just please don't hurt him!"

The Ex-Cat King just smiled at her. "Sorry, babe, but old Baron brought this upon himself."

But Baron was not about to call it quits. He still had one more trick up his sleeves. His eyes darted over to his human companion holding his cane. As Kai stabbed forward, Baron slid on the ground and went right under through the cat's legs.

"Haru, my cane!" he cried.

Haru blinked. "Huh, oh right, here!"

She tossed the cane to Baron. He jumped up and caught it. In one quick motion, he untwisted his cane to reveal a sword. It was long and skinny, but it was still a weapon. Kai raised an eyebrow at the thin blade curiously.

"Nice backup." He commented.

Baron got into an attacking position. "Thank you. I got a new cane awhile back and decided to have a more useful one."

Kai joined Baron in an attack position. He knew that sword would be no match against his own. "Then lets continue."

The two charged again, this time leaping in the air, meeting each other in mid-jump. The swords swung wildly. There was the sound of metal hitting metal. Kai landed exactly where Baron had jumped and Baron landed exactly where Kai had jumped. The only difference was that Baron's cane/sword landed several feet away from them.

Kai wasted no time as he spun around and charged at the, once again, weaponless Baron. Instead of using his sword he slammed into Baron, knocking him to the ground. The next thing Baron knew, Kai was standing over him with his sword pressed against his throat.

The Ex-Cat King cheered victoriously.