Theft

It was in the community that Arthur and Abigail met Austin. A tall boy, with dark hair and eyes to match. His most notorious characteristic, however, was his charming smile. "But narrator", you say, "charming is subjective." Not with Austin, as you'll soon find out.

Immediately upon arrival, Arthur stood out to the boy. Big as the man might have been, he exhaled pure kindness out of every pore. The perfect target.

If he wanted to get something good, he had to catch them while they were fresh. Still, it took Austin a few hours to spot the right opportunity. Like almost everything he had ever wanted, it eventually came to him. Arthur, all by himself, distracted with something inside the car.

Austin approached.

-Hello...

The man's gaze raised curiously to him.

-Hi there!

-My name is Austin. I just wanted to welcome you here.

A big smile split the other's face. He put his hand out.

-Thank you! I'm Arthur Aguado. Nice to meet you.

After shaking the man's hand, Austin leaned against the car.

-So... What is your power?

He had learned the hard way that some powers negated his own.

-Healing-the boy almost chuckled when Arthur wiggled his fingers whimsically.-What about you?

There it was. His opening. Austin's grin widened.

-I've got the power to have all of your money.

-My money?-the man parroted with a frown that quickly smoothed out.-My money...

He reached into his back pocket, pulling out his wallet. While in the process of handing Austin all of his bank notes, a voice sounded.

-What the hell are you doing?!-Abigail was speaking mostly to her husband.

Arthur's vision cleared. The frown returned.

-Shit-Austin murmured.

That attracted the woman's attention to him.

-Excuse me?

-Where did you go?-Arthur interrupted the brewing argument, talking to his wife.

The anger in Abigail's face didn't seem to dissipate, even as she raised the bags on her hand to eye level.

-I went to get us something to eat. I come back and you're handing all of our money to a stranger!

-It's not a stranger! It's a hungry kid!-the man argued.

Truth be told, the action had not been out of his free will, but he stood by it.

The tone in Arthur's voice pleasantly warmed Austin's chest. Before it could get any worse, the boy began walking away.

-Well, I'll leave you to your dinner.

-Wait-Abigail said, in such a tone that he froze in place.-Where are your parents?

He did not turn to look back.

-Gone-he said.

The silence that followed gave him the opening to finally walk away.

Arthur and Abigail ate silently in their car, each submerged in their own thoughts. It was the woman who spoke up first.

-Are you worried about him, too?

It was a stupid question.

-I can't believe we're here eating pizza when there's a kid out there starving to death...-Arthur lamented, setting his food down.