Ch. 1 Dragon Master

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Author Notes: I'm officially active on Wattpad, prepping the final version of WL for publishing. I hope you guys will be brutal! Tell me exactly what you think and lets get this thing whipped into shape!

Updates will be posted at LEAST every Friday, if not sooner. So buckle up, sit back and enjoy this symphony of fantasy, romance and adventure.

-Crys)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Never forget that Shiren are not human. They may look and sound like humans, but remember: they know their race and most importantly… they know their place."

God, I'm so stupid…

Heather's head was swimming. She couldn't even see straight, and her hazy mind had conjured up that advice hours too late. She felt seven again, rather than seventeen: stupid. But it was much too late for regrets. Her stomach turned with the slightest movement, her head swam mercilessly, and the taste of vomit threatened in the back of her throat. She was vaguely aware of being half conscious but didn't ever want to open her eyes. Someone was speaking, but she couldn't recognize this man’s voice.

"Are you awake now?"

"Wah…" She meant to say "What," but the word just would not come out. Her eyelids were so very heavy. Was it due to that strange bottle of perfume that stranger had shoved under her nose? Chloroform? She didn't know, and couldn't even care. Sleep enveloped her once more, peaceful and silent.

"What the hell? What's wrong with it!?"

"Seems like this human has been sedated."

"What?"

"Drugged. Maybe to keep her from struggling when-"

"Damn it!" Kuroshi growled with frustration, shoving his servant away from the bed. "Never mind, just get out."

"Yes my lord."

The irate dragon prince waited for his servant to leave before turning back to the matter at hand: the unconscious human girl on his bed. Those 'professional' Pet Purveyors had cleaned and dressed up their product with great care, and had even delivered it straight to the palace just as requested. But why the hell did they have to go and put it to sleep? Wasn't that a step in the opposite direction? He wanted to play with his new Pet, not just watch it lay around!

Without even thinking he climbed onto the bed, straddling her cold, motionless form. This was what having a human form must have been for. He hated the disguise: the smooth, pale human skin, lacking his sleek, protective scales and the shortened state of his fangs, lacking the powerful jaw that had snapped countless necks. Only his long hair remained, falling over his shoulders like an ebony curtain of perfection, reminding of what should have been.

But it would be enough. Normal humans lacked his own powerful arms and the red eyes he knew could set blood to boiling, even while inside veins. He could kill her in mere seconds, in fact, and yet he could not.

Could she feel? Could she scream? That much he needed from her. He needed those brown eyes open again, wide with that terror and wet with her tears. Otherwise everything would be a waste of his time. He wanted to feel the vibration of her screams on his claws as those pretty pink lips begged him to stop.

Oh, just the memory of her brazen disrespect made his entire body quiver with delicious excitement. He remembered the way she’d snapped back and refused his demands, like no one he’d ever met dared. Countless other, more powerful beings had bowed to his feet and others ran in terror as he approached, but she? She had fought back and he felt his blood boil for the first time in decades: alive, for the first time in his immortal life.

"Wake up!" He bared his sharp fangs as the human disguise dropped from his teeth, forehead pressed directly to hers. “Open your eyes! I want to watch as you die!”

She didn't respond in the least.

Ugh! His fingers flexed and his razor sharp claws positively itched: thirsting for blood. He contemplated killing her right then and there, with his bare hands, but oh, there was no satisfaction in that! He would not even be able to watch the life drain from her shiny brown eyes: would not even hear her final, choked cries for mercy.

"What a waste of fu-"

A clatter arose just behind him, but Kuroshi did not even startle. His guard dogs sprung into action, barking and snarling at whoever had made to enter his room, but their claws only scratched up and kept the door closed. The dumb, ugly beasts weren’t even bright enough to back off to let their prey in.

“What do you want?!” He automatically spat, not even turning away from the unconscious female on his bed.

A human voice called back, from the other side of his locked double doors. “My prince, Kuroshi, forgive me, but your father has requested your audience.”

“Well tell him I’m busy!” The reply had Kuroshi glowering, cutting his eyes at each whimpering syllable.

“My apologies my prince, but the king has insisted he see you at once. It seems there has been a change in the Solquen.”

The Solquen? He almost refused, out of pure disbelief, but now found himself paused. The Solquen had never changed, never...

His eyes remained focused on the female beneath him, absently sweeping over her clear white complexion and tousled brown hair, and he considered her ridiculous existence as well. What had he been thinking, purchasing a human of all things? He sincerely hoped she would be the type that would beg. Just imagining the sound set his ears tingling: anticipating, but the next call from behind him shattered all of that.

“May I tell him you will come?”

“Yes, you stupid swine!” He finally barked, standing with a grunt of frustration. “And you two shut the hell up!”

The guard dogs obeyed him at once, dropping their hind quarters and folding their wings. The two kept their fangs bared, but folded their paws and tucked in their tails as their master approached. Kuroshi then wrenched his bedroom doors open, but only to kick the dogs out of the room. His loyal servants yapped with annoyance, but he forced them along, ignoring those cut amber eyes and clawing dragon claws. “Go on stupid mutts, I won’t have you eating my new pet while I’m gone.”

They each shot him a look of pure loathing, obviously regretting the fact that he’d thought that far ahead, and began barking again the moment he closed those doors and locked them outside.

The prince then turned on his heal, pausing to pull on his traveling cloak. He would need to depart through the window if he wanted to keep his new victim contained. The wind whistled in as the glass doors swung open and he caught one last whiff at the scent of her hair. Something inside of him woke at that moment, stirred to life by recognition, and he turned with wide eyes to his still sleeping companion. She smelled just like- but no, it had to be a mere trick of the wind. Even with magic, he knew, those who were dead could never just come back to life.