𝑫𝒂𝒚 96

dear diary,

dear diary,

this is the first time i've written in this diary, since i didn't bother to put an entry in this the day lee gave it to me. well, it turns out that our happy day was all a waste and kind of pointless. and it's all my fault. then again, everything is my fault.

beau died a week ago at the bridge that's near the house that the abbott family and i live in. apparently, regan had given the kid the toy rocket back but told him to not take the batteries but he did. he switched the device on and look where that got him.... if only i had stopped him... if i could have just run to him instead of just standing there like an idiot.... i should have saved him but i couldn't, just like with my family. but oh well. everything always goes wrong when an alien invasion happens; i mean, that's what the movies told me, at least.

this is a pretty depressing first entry, but this diary will always remind me of the day that i lost the boy that i had always sworn to protect. but i failed and, if evelyn or lee or marcus or regan are reading this, i'm sorry. i'm so so so sorry...

so... i'm leaving tomorrow. very very early at that.

i'm going off on my own, without them. i have to leave them because i don't want to lose anyone else. every time i'm around somebody, something bad almost always happens. and i don't want to see that happen again; i just want that family to be safe without someone that will always mess everything up. i will admit, i'm terrified to try to survive in this world by myself, but i need to try... for them. and this is probably the dumbest thing i'll ever do. i know i'm going to hurt them by leaving them to worry, since they literally took me in when i needed a family more than ever. and i really thank them and love them for that.

but i don't want them to die because of me.

i just can't let it happen.

so, to the abbott family, if i die out there and if any one of you finds this diary (which i'm also taking with me), i'm sorry. i'm sorry for causing all of this. it's all my fault for not even trying to save your youngest child.

it should have been me instead of him...

— alessia carson

__________

The girl grabbed her duffel bag as silently as she could, unzipping it quietly. She had to make little noise because not only were there creatures out there ready to execute anyone or anything that made a single sound, but there were three people asleep down the hallway that could definitely hear. All of their bedroom doors were open, so she didn't want to wake them; this was the only time that she was grateful for Regan being deaf, since she knew that the older girl was fast asleep in the bed in front of her and wouldn't hear her at all.