𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 5

The entire village vanished in just one night. No signs of struggle, to conclude they were kidnapped. However, their important belongings like wallets and phones don't seem to be carried either. The houses were left just like that. Some dinners on the table were left untouched, even the tv was left on. Shoto went around the village and to each house to record the current ghost town. For proving the village really was left deserted. 

"Did you check the restroom?" Shoto asked, stepping out of the store. 

"There was nothing. Even that corpse from yesterday," Katsuki rasped. Shoto squinted in confusion. If they all, did decide to go anywhere after all, why did they brought the dead body with them? 

'They all vanished? Right, total 22 homes?' The voice of Hitoshi was heard on the other line. 'All 41 people? Got it. I'll send some backup so call me if you found anyone dead or injured,' the detective added. 

"Alright," Shoto answered, giving back Katsuki's phone that he used to call Hitoshi. The two returned to the house where Yui was the only person who didn't vanish beside them. "Actually, I heard something odd past midnight last night..." she begin. 

"What did you hear?" Shoto inquired. 

"It sounded like a crying baby," she mumbled. Katsuki raised an eyebrow. "Be more specific," 

"It was a little of 2 am. I woke up because I was thirsty and...I heard it. I thought it was just a cat but I'm certain it's not. It really sounded like a crying baby," she explained. 

"There were no pregnant ladies on this island, though," Shoto tilted his head.  

"Exactly. The ladies here are over 70, to be exact," she added. 

"What was the time?" Katsuki asked. "Around 2:40 am," she answered. "The clocks weren't working. Both table and wall clocks. They stopped at 2:40 am," 

That happened in the other houses too. They all stopped at that time. Shoto was sure of that since he didn't miss any single clue in every house. Shoto looked at the watch around his wrist. "As well as my watch. It stopped at 2:40," 

"It's the hour of the cow," Katsuki crossed his arms. The ox, or cow, has been given the two-hour period from 1 a.m. to 3 a.m  "The hour where the fucking door of the other world opens," Katsuki grunted. 

"I wonder what happened last night..." Shoto frowned. 

═.✵.════

The sound of people clapping and singing Happy Birthday was heard echoing in the house, and there was Mina Ashido and her 'parents' celebrating what was supposed to be her birthday. She looked happy, begin eating the steak that was presented in front of her, and taking the gifts her parents gave. Until her parents had a small argument of her age. 

"Isn't she, 24? Where the accident occurred, she was 24..." the father spoke, nose scrunched in skepticism. "She was a senior in a college,"

"What accident?" the mother asked, confused. "She- went to Nepal for trekking, but she fell and died," 

The clinking sound of cutleries fell on the plate came after the word. Mina seemed annoyed, losing appetite in her meal. 

"Dad, I told you to forget all those unnecessary memories," she exclaimed. She stood, walking to where her 'father' was, and glared. "It's me. Your beloved daughter," she half yelled, a hand grasped on the man's face and he wailed in pain, feeling like skin and bones were about to be crushed until her hand was grabbed by Neito. 

She blinked, grinning, and left the man to Neito. The blond smiled and one of his eyes glistened into a fox-like eye. 

"What is your wish?" Neito asked, using his power.