10. Betting Hearts

Start from the beginning

Anyways, the message reads:

[ Consider this a gift of common courtesy. <AVI file attached> ]

( . . . )

"Kouenji?" I asked, shifting my gaze from the device to the boy ahead. He didn't answer me. The only confirmation I got, was his swift return to the consumption of the cuisine in front of us.

Apart from the content of the message, something else is bothering me. "Hey Kouenji. Who gave you my contact?"

"I have my ways, Basketball-kun. I'm sure you are aware of the concept of secrecy," he decided to give a vague answer. Sneaky dude.

Oh well. There's no point in choking him for names. I'll just see what was so interesting that he had to prolong this meeting.

And so, I tapped on the file he sent. It was a video.

( . . . )

( . . . )

( . . . )

"This is-"

I wasn't even 5 seconds in yet, and I understood exactly what it meant. As Blondie ate his meal, I reviewed the video file peacefully from my seat.

There's no doubt about it. This file right here, is the footage captured from the convenience store during my encounter with the three stooges on yesterday afternoon. Why does Kouenji have it?

When the video ended, I just stared blankly at the screen. I proceeded to study the video's name. Something was oddly familiar about it.

.

( * 3 seconds later * )

·

Aha! This video shared the same name with the file that I saw on Mori's phone.

"I see." Slowly but surely I'm starting to connect the dots. I put my phone on the table and jumped to my questioning, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the encrypted file that was distributed to a large number of the student body? How did you manage to crack it?"

"Pahh! Don't take me for one of those fools who pride themselves on wearing this filthy uniform. Unlike any of them, I'm not so negligent as to write this off as a mere prank. And even if it is, there's nothing wrong with being certain." Blondie paused, took a sip from his coffee, and then continued, "I simply downloaded the correct application to convert this file to the appropriate media."

"That makes sense."

All in all, this was an unexpected deviation, but welcoming nonetheless. I'm not really troubled by the video's distribution. Hunk-of-hotness was going to reveal the situation to Class 1-D anyways. Although, I wonder if girls will start seeing me as a bad boy. That would certainly be kakui.

My mind was about to start deducing the identity of the culprit behind this, but I stopped myself from doing that. The clock's hour hand was already past 5 p.m. and the shop was going to close very soon. Hence, I didn't have free time to think. Instead, I better wrap this meeting up quick.

Shrugging a bit, I got back to the matter at hand, "Anyways, that sure was interesting, Kouenji. I appreciate the gesture. I'm sure you also have question marks in your head, but they can wait for another day. For now, I have a proposal."

"Oh? I wonder what that could be." Kouenji took another dose of his cappuccino. His smile never faltered.

Seeing his interested grin, I decided to smile aswell. "You know Asahina-senpai, right?"

"Of course! She is the woman I was romancing just now before getting interrupted by you and your puny entourage."

"How about a bet then?" I saw Blondie raise a brow to that thought, and so, I deftly continued speaking, "The one between the two of us who gets to make Asahina-senpai his girlfriend wins. And the winner gets to ask one favour from the loser, no matter how ridiculous or excessively huge it is."

When I said that, Blondie broke down laughing, without caring much for the few customers present. "Pahahahah! You sure spout some interesting ideas, Basketball-kun!" He easily calmed himself, then said, "But are you sure a mortal can take on a divine being?"

"Who says I'm a mortal?" When those words escaped my mouth, the two of us locked eyes. Without breaking character, I continued, "Oh, and if you're worried that I'll cheat you, then here."

I lifted my phone from the table and showed it to Blondie.

"I've been recording our little chat. If one of us backs out, the other could pressure the coward into collaboration with this."

"Hmp. No need for such dirty tricks. I for one would never go back on my word. That's only natural for someone as perfect as me. And from everything I've learnt about you, I have a feeling that you won't come this far just to turn tails and run. Plus even if you do, I'll surely make you pay."

"I see. I'm glad that we can see eye to eye." With not much to say, I turned off the recorder app and shoved my phone into my trousers. I then got up from my seat and held out my right arm towards Kouenji, "Deal?"

"Hmp." He followed suit and rose from his seat, albeit more gracefully, and surprisingly shook my arm with great warmth, "Deal."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

[A/N: I'm thinking of posting shorter chappies now. Not too sure if I can manage longer ones. And on a side note, you guys should check out moolight fantasy. It's Konosuba-level funny. I was balling my eyes out from the classic stupidity. (>﹏<)]

Word Count: 1469