Sixth

WARNING: May be mentions of abuse, panic attacks, trauma, blood, etc. If you are sensitive to these topics, please don't read.

Mindy POV:

Alex is coming over today to stay with Mom, Dad, and me for a night. We call our parents Mom and Dad now. The past year has made us closer than I ever thought was possible. The doorbell rang and Mom went to get it. She opened the door and hugged Alex. Dad and I also hugged him and I put his stuff in his room upstairs. When I came down, they were talking about the recent events.

"Who do you think would send you messages like that?" Dad asked.

"There's only two people who would want to get revenge on us but they're in jail. They couldn't possibly contact us."

"True. Perhaps I can call and ask them to double check the safety measures of your ex-foster parents."

Mom got up and went to make a few calls. We were left with Dad.

"How are you doing? I don't mean it as a conversation filler. I really want to know. How are you doing with everything that's happening?"

I answered first.

"Besides the nightmares, I'm good. I have amazing friends, an amazing brother, and Micah."

Alex stifled a laugh.

"Something funny?" I asked.

"You didn't mention Micah as your friend. What is he to you?"

Alex raised his eyebrows and Dad fell out of his chair laughing.

"He's my friend. Nothing else."

"Sure. Is this like how I said Lia was only my friend and then started dating her?"

I shoved Alex. Dad, still laughing, sat in his chair and asked Alex how he was.

"Not that great. College homework makes me eat less and have more stress. I try to get as much rest as I can but it's hard. I have testing coming up and I need to review. The kid I'm tutoring also has a test coming up and we're revising quadratics with him. All that plus this creepy stuff is just asking for trouble."

We nodded. Just then, Mom came back in. She was breathing hard and her face was white. I asked her what was wrong.

"They're gone. They left with her stepfather and now they're trying to get revenge on you."

"Say that again."

"Lia and Jane's stepfather broke out of prison with two other people."

Alex tensed.

"Don't tell me . . . "

"Michael and Marcia Ramn. I'm sorry but . . . they're back."

Lia POV:

I was sitting in the living room when I heard a knock on the door. I found Alex's mom and dad outside. They were pale. I looked around but Alex and Mindy weren't there.

"Did something happen?" I asked.

"You might want to sit down for this," Alex's mom said.

I invited them in and brought snacks. The atmosphere was tense.

"They've escaped. Alex and Mindy's ex-foster parents. We think they were the ones who called them over and over again and who tried to kill you and Alex."

I didn't expect that.

"If they were the other two, who was the third person in the call?"

"Your stepfather."

I froze. Now I was sure I saw him that day in the store. I didn't want to believe he was back. Then, I realized Alex was probably panicking.

"Where's Alex?"

"In the car. He didn't take the news well."

"Can I see him?"

"That's up to you to decide."

I took their keys and ran to their car. I went inside and found Mindy and Alex asleep. I woke them up. Mindy woke up first and pushed me out of the car. She was about to hit me when Alex stopped her. She looked back at me and her eyes widened.

"Lia. I'm sorry. I just . . . "

"Panicked? I know. I saw. I just wanted to check in with . . . "

I was pulled into a hug by Alex. We stayed like that for a couple minutes before he let me go. I got into the car and sat down.

"How do you feel?" I asked him.

"Scared. You?"

"A little."

Suddenly, we felt the car moving. I looked at the controls. The car was on. Alex and I looked at each other. He grabbed Mindy and pushed her out of the car. She fell onto soft soil.

"Good," was all we could say before the car crashed into the wall, knocking me out.