Chapter 2: Hunting the Hunter

Start from the beginning

She turned and marched up the stairs. Draven followed closely behind until she entered her room and shut the door.

#

When Selene awoke, it was evening again. It seemed like she hardly saw the sun anymore. Assassins truly were creatures of the night.

After taming her hair, she slid her door open. And nearly startled when she saw her new guard standing there. His hair was a dark brown, so dull that she could find no shine among his locks. His eyes blazed green against his deeply tanned skin. What was his name? She couldn't quite remember. "Guard Rabar, wasn't it?"

"Raban."

"Right. Have any notes been left for me?"

"Yes."

Selene extended her hand, and he placed a slip of white paper into her palm. Suspicion lined his forehead. Her heart beat a bit faster. Could he have read the note? Did he suspect something? Selene forced a smile and told herself that was ridiculous. Even if he had, the note was coded.

"Is everything all right, Guard Raban?"

"Of course, Lady Selene." The suspicion cleared from his expression.

Selene fingered the edges of the note, running her thumb along the paper. "Would you like to know a secret?"

"If you're so inclined to share one."

"My parents often wonder where I go at night. Where do you think I go?" She let her smile slop at the edges, turning it into a goofy grin. "You'll never guess."

"As your ladyship has said, I'd never guess, so what's the point in trying?"

His words startled a genuine laugh from her, but she quickly recovered. "I've fallen deeply in love, so deeply that I never have any hopes of recovering. I suspect that I may love him forever."

"Is that so?" His expression remained carefully neutral. She couldn't tell if he was merely being polite or suspected that her story was fabricated.

"Yes. He's terribly handsome."

"What does he look like?"

Clever. Another question that could either be a polite enquiry or searching for more information. Selene ran images of men through her head. The noblemen she knew were out of the question. Given that her family was among the lowliest of nobles, none would dare become her lover lest it led to marriage.

She'd once met a patron at a brothel Arzil owned. He could work in a pinch.

"He has a thick beard of velvety black hair and eyes the color of dirt."

"Dirt?"

Thankfully, she was better with a dagger than she was with words. "I mean wood. No, chocolate. Yes, rich, sweet chocolate. And naturally, since he's not a noble, my parents wouldn't approve of the relationship. Which is why it's necessary to sneak out."

"And why bother telling me? I'm your guard, not your confidant."

"Well, perhaps you can be both. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a note to read." She waved it in front of his face before retreating back into her room.

She was simultaneously proud of herself and dismayed. Proud because she played a rather convincing lovestruck girl. Dismayed because she would have to maintain that persona until the guard was fired.

Selene broke the seal, unfolded the paper, and smoothed it against her desk.

Dearest Selene,

I do hope you'll wear the maroon dress again; it looks quite lovely on you. I hope to see you soon because I find myself missing you more with each passing hour. But please be careful. An unexpected storm is coming, and I wouldn't want you to be caught in it.