Chapter 1: To Kill a King

Start from the beginning

Selene headed toward the wooden double doors. Though the girl didn't make a sound, she could sense Lyra trailing behind her.

"Perhaps you could spar with me afterward," Lyra said. "All the other apprenticelings would be so jealous if I got to spar with the third-in-command."

Third-in-command was a high rank for someone of Selene's age. She had only been awarded that status when she'd become Arzil's apprentice. Serpent was the mysterious second-in-command intelligence agent. Selene had never met him, since Arzil was Serpent's main point of contact.

Selene entered the hallway. The interior was much the same as the library, the primary differences being the tighter space and the sconces protruding from the walls. The air here constantly felt stuffy, as if it'd been breathed too many times. Sometimes Selene could swear that the passage grew a hair narrower every time she traversed it.

But after she killed the King, she wouldn't have to wander these halls again. She would be free.

Her biggest concern was keeping her escape plans a secret from Arzil. As her master, he was irritating and arrogant. But as her enemy, he'd be cruel and vengeful. She'd seen what had happened to other assassins who'd been caught trying to run away: the skin peeled from their flesh, their eyes gouged from their skulls, their fingernails yanked from their hands.

"Selene?" Lyra asked. Only then did Selene realize the girl had been waiting for a response.

"Perhaps another time." She ignored the jab of guilt.

After Selene killed the King, there wouldn't be a next time. Lyra would feel abandoned. For a brief moment, Selene considered trying to smuggle Lyra out with her. But to think such a plan would work would be naïve. Not only would she have to trust that Lyra wouldn't report her, but she'd have to give Onden double the payment.

"Oh." Lyra's voice withered in disappointment. "Well. May I watch?"

"If Arzil permits it."

The passageway forked into three. Selene took the left, climbed up a spiraling set of stairs, and opened the door to the training room.

Though straw softened the ground, she knew from experience that it did little to cushion a fall. Mounted weapons lined the stone wall, gleaming in the Lux light. Arzil was battling an invisible opponent but stopped upon seeing her.

He lowered his weapon, his chest heaving. "Selene." His eyes were so pale they seemed to glow.

As always, Selene was tempted to squirm beneath his piercing stare, but she quashed the urge and bowed. "Master Arzil." She had to act natural. If she showed any indication of guilt, he might use a truth serum on her until he discovered what she was hiding.

"You're late. There will be no time for a warmup," he said.

She'd better be careful not to pull anything—or her family would ask questions. "I understand." She whipped out her daggers from where they dangled by her hips. Emeralds adorned the pommel of the right dagger and the top edges of the blade; it was all she had left of her mother.

Arzil raised his sword. "Begin."

Neither of them moved, both of their gazes assessing the other.

Arzil casually circled her, his gait slow and predatory. "Does your tardiness have anything to do with the plans for your mission?"

"Yes. But I assure you it won't be an issue," Selene said.

He tossed a lock of his white hair behind him. It was so damaged from bleaching that it appeared thin and brittle. After Draven had betrayed the Scorpio, she'd heard that Arzil had changed his appearance radically lest Draven decide to give a description of Arzil to the authorities. Some said he'd even changed his name. Even though Selene was his apprentice, she'd never heard his old name before.