⚜ Chapter One - Conflicts ⚜

The heavy rainfall forced Goku to remain sheltered as he peered at the fields, crops sprouted and ready to pull. Even so, he simply took the time to think. Lately he'd felt distant. Though he didn't quite understand why, only that he felt an unease in his stomach. It wasn't just at work, but at home as well. As if something stirred him wrong. Pressed every button located inside him. This feeling, while strong; had not been a new one. It was something that lingered for years. Goku desperately wanted to ignore it, but the longer he swallowed that bitter pill the more it bit back. Became far greater and less easy to ignore.

Sighing, he leaned along the large oak, feeling a few drops slide down his cheek from the raindrops that slipped beyond the leafy canopy above. He'd have let his own mind linger further, if not for the Ki he'd felt. His once seemingly empty gaze had shifted, pulling his mask up as he forced a smile with those deep and steadfast words.

"Pity for your thoughts, Kakarot." There was a brief pause as Vegeta lowered his umbrella before leaning along the same tree and carrying on his words. "And with how rare they are for you, a zeni's worth."

"What's brought you here, Vegeta? You never come by the fields." The Saiyan Prince huffed, shrugging before he found his voice.

"I was going to see whether a spar was intriguing, but that blasted harpy shooed me off. It was easy to pinpoint where you'd be." Kakarot tried to laugh, only to hesitate as he finally caught a glimpse of Vegeta's expression. "I'd advise dropping the facade around me, Kakarot. That smile is as rotten as most things, old and worn down. I am the Prince of the Saiyans, so it's no use lying to my face. It's a disrespect!"

"Sorry... Vegeta." Goku felt his smile fall, his head shifting as he gazed at the canopy above. The slight breeze ruffled the greenery, showing the darkened sky overhead as a slight rumble of thunder loomed in the vast horizon.

"Now tell me, Kakarot. What's bothering you?" The taller Saiyan paused for a moment, taken back by what he'd heard. Vegeta was arrogant, cocky, and held the largest ego of their kind. The fact the Prince asked such a question and showed even an inch of concern made Goku conflicted. It was simply unlike him. "I will not wait long. Either answer or continue to mope. I could care less!"

"I just didn't expect the concern..."

"Of course I can offer concern. I am not heartless." Goku genuinely let out a laugh, his eyelids falling.

"Guess I've just fallen out of being myself lately." Vegeta hummed, turning his gaze before Goku also opened his eyes. They met gazes, the Saiyan Prince sighing as he settled his own tone. Keeping it calm, but stern.

"That happens when you wear a mask for too long. You play a fool, so everyone believes it. Tell me, why not show who you really are?"

"They'd fear me. Simple as that. They've always seen me as this goofy musclehead... So when they see the darker parts, the more primal pieces, they'd fear me. I am seen as that old Goku. Once they catch a glimpse of the other, it would be a whole new me that I assure they would pull away from." A long silence ensued as Vegeta took in a long breath.

"How are you so sure? I'm quite the ass, as much as I hate admitting it. They still never push me away. I was once an enemy, now an ally. How is that any different?"

"You changed for the better. If I open up, it would be for the worst. Chi-Chi hates my Saiyan aspects... Why wouldn't everyone else?" Those words caught Vegeta, made him hesitate. Truthfully, he understood where Goku was standing. He played himself a fool, taking in all the insults as if it phased him none. Vegeta knew well the treatment he received. Goku put everyone first, ignoring the Saiyan pride and aspects. Because of that, most saw him as the current version. It did back the statement that the real Goku would instill some inch of fear. Vegeta had heard of Raditz' visit in the past, openly admitting the information on Goku's true purpose. Even without hearing how the reactions went, Vegeta could tell it was not pleasant. Earth was well known for fearing what they did not know. Goku was exactly that, a Saiyan and mystery. While a hero to the small planet, he was also someone that held far too much power. There would always be the fear of 'what if Goku turned from Earth?'. "Look, I appreciate the ear. But this is simply something I can't work around. The mask keeps me close to others, even if it is all an act. I'd willingly continue the act to remain present."