sick in the middle of the night

Megan was stirred from her slumber by the sound of you whimpering beside her.

She was worried right away because just a little while ago before you both called it a night, you told her that you weren't feeling all that well.

You were convinced you just needed some sleep and you'd wake up feeling better. As concerned about you as Megan was, she'd had a long day and couldn't fight to keep herself awake any longer. She thought you'd wake her if you felt worse.

But she didn't expect to be woken up like this.

She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and sat up against the pillows before turning the lamp on. As soon as she looked at you, her heart sank.

Your eyes met and she noticed the look of misery in yours right away. You were starting to sweat and as soon as she put her hand on your forehead, she realized that you were running a fever.

"You feel hot." She mumbled sadly.

"I feel sick." You spoke quietly and put your hand over your mouth as it began to water.

"Let's try to get you to the bathroom." She said but you shook your head, trying to tell her that you couldn't.

Not just because you knew you only had a few seconds until you threw up, but because everything ached and you felt dizzy. Standing wasn't easy for you right now. You already tried to get into the bathroom, hoping that if you did, you wouldn't have woken her up when you eventually got sick.

But you couldn't make it then and you definitely couldn't make it now, even if she offered to help you.

Her heart started to race in nervousness and she reached for the empty trash can that was just beside your bed. She put it on your lap and immediately after that, you started to get sick into it.

"Shh," Megan shushed comfortingly as you whimpered and tried to catch your breath. "It's okay." She whispered. "I'm right here with you. Let it all out, I've got you."

You did just that, unable to fight the terrible sick feeling even if you tried.

You whimpered as your stomach continued to turn. The urge was overwhelming and the taste lingered on your tongue each time, only making you throw up more.

Megan winced every time, closing her eyes as she felt her heart ache over seeing you so miserable. 

"You're okay," she whispered softly and rubbed your back soothingly, trying to comfort you through it all.

When you stopped, you took in a shaky breath and closed your eyes.

She put the can on the floor and brushed her hand along your warm cheek.

You sniffled tearfully, feeling both humiliated and sick to your stomach.

"I'm so sorry, Megan. I'm so embarrassed."

"What? Don't be." She whispered softly. "There's nothing to be embarrassed about. You're sick, I understand." She said before kissing your shoulder. "You're burning up and you're sweating so much. How about we take a bath? You and me."

"Okay." You mumbled.

"Okay. You stay right here, I'm going to get everything set up." She said before walking to the closet, grabbing herself some clean clothes and then you one of her shirts, knowing you'd find more comfort in that than your own clothes right now.

She went into the bathroom. Turning on the light, she walked over to the bathtub and turned on the water. She took a minute to get the perfect temperature, not too hot and not too cold before she walked back into the bedroom to get you.

She helped you stand before she put her arm around your waist. She helped you into the bathroom and out of your clothes before stepping out of hers. She got you into the water before sitting behind you. 

She kissed your shoulder and gently brushed her nails along your back.

"Relax. It's okay, baby. Lean right on me."

You leaned against her and closed your eyes. She dipped her fingertips into the water before letting the drops fall onto your soft skin. You let out a hum and she smiled, finding a little happiness in knowing that something was helping you feel better.

"Good?"

"Yeah." 

She kissed your head before continuing for a minute.

But soon, she stopped. She wanted to wash your hair so she gathered some shampoo into her hands and ran her fingers through your hair. She gently scratched your head. She knows how much you like that.

She did the same with the conditioner before she washed her hair too. After, she washed your body for you, and you just leaned against her as she did so, finding comfort in her touch and the smell of the shower gel.

She washed her body before letting you lean back against her once more.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, baby girl." She whispered softly and held you in her arms, although loosely, as you relaxed and drifted off to sleep.

She didn't move a muscle, wanting you to relax as much as possible.

But the water began to turn cold and she wanted to get you out of it and into the warm bed.

So she gently shook you awake and brushed her fingertips along your arm soothingly.

"Let's get to bed."

You nodded tiredly.

She got out first, wrapping the towel around her body before she helped you out.

She dried you off and pulled her shirt over your head. The small smile on your face as you realized it was her shirt melted her heart.

"You stay right here, baby. Let me get everything ready in the bedroom for you. Okay?" She said as she got dressed in her pajamas.

"Okay."

She kissed your forehead and walked back into the bedroom. She cleaned out the trash can before putting it back by your side of the bed. She got you some water and sheets, knowing they'd probably be better for you to curl up in than the blankets.

Once she was done, she returned to your side.

You stared at her with heavy, tired eyes and she cracked a small smile before helping you to bed.

"Okay, you should be all set. Hopefully, you'll get a good night's sleep and wake up feeling better."

"I hope so." You mumbled tiredly as she laid down beside you and brushed her fingers through your hair. "I love you."

"I love you so much." She said. "If you need anything, wake me up and I'll get it for you. And, come morning, if you're not feeling better, I'll go up to the store and get you some stuff."

"Thank you." You spoke tiredly as you closed your heavy eyes.

"No problem, baby. Sleep well. I'm right here if you need me."

She watched as you drifted off to sleep, her fingers still brushing through your hair as she hoped to herself that you'd begin to feel much better soon.