1. Prison Blues

~ Italics : Flashbacks ~

"Riley Tucker." Amanda Waller spoke as she flipped to the next criminal in her book.

"Partner in crime to our previous criminal, Captain Boomerang. She's a metahuman with the power to control electricity. She used her powers to burn up security panels to break into banks with Harkness. 98 counts of burglary in the first degree for both of them. Unlike Captain Boomerang, she's never used her powers to harm another individual. That is until she got to prison. She's now electrocuted and killed 6 guards and left 3 in the hospital." She spoke with an amused expression on her face.

"You think this is a good idea?" The man next to her spoke up. "I mean it sounds like she could easily fry half of the security guards and run to freedom. What do you think is gonna make her willingly go along with this?"

"Other than the bomb that will be in her neck. It's the bomb that will be in Boomerangs neck. The pair grew up together and became notorious criminals together. There's some kind of love story hidden there. I'm sure of it. It's very obvious that she will do anything for him, and he would do the same for her."

———————————————————————

BANG BANG BANG

Another astounding wake up call from hell itself, Belle Reve. Riley Tucker, aka Short Fuse, let out a groan as she listened to the guards shouting for her to wake up and get her breakfast. As demeaning as the name Short Fuse sounds, it was a name Riley was quite fond of. The nickname was given to her by her best friend, Digger Harkness.

"Digger are you sure about this?" Riley whispered to her partner in crime.

"Just relax. Follow the plan, and we'll be good as gold." He winked, smirking at his choice of words.

Riley had been forced to move to Australia at the age of 13 due to her track record with delinquency and falling outs with foster homes all across the country. It didn't take her long to run into Digger Harkness. The pair grew up and took on the world of stealing and thievery together.

"I know but we've never robbed an actual bank before, Dig." The girl stated nervously.

"Do ya trust me?" He smiled at her. "Always do." She laughed.

Riley opened the electrical panel outside of the building. Within seconds she had fried the entire system.

"Good girl." Digger smirked at the girl. Riley was incredibly thankful he had turned to head inside the bank, missing out on the blush that was forming on her face.

Digger was able to take out the only security guard with his boomerang. It was a weapon he first founded to keep himself and Riley safe on the streets, but now he found a better use for it.

The duo wasted no time in collecting as much cash as they could. Before they knew it, their first bank robbery had come to an end.

"Let's leave 'em a note." Digger spoke as he eyed the pen and paper sitting neatly on the bank counter.

"Are you serious right now? Great, you are. Digger why don't we just walk right down to the police station and turn ourselves in now, huh?" Riley snapped at the much taller man. Anger was clear on both her face and in her voice.

"Calm down, mate. Ya always on such a short fuse." Digger complained, but slowly his face turned into a grin. He quickly picked up the pen and signed two names down onto the piece of paper for the police to find.

'Captain Boomerang + Short Fuse'

Riley smiled as she thought back to that memory. At first she despised the name. She begged Digger to pick something else for her. But her luck ran out when they heard sirens approaching the building. The name grew on her as she later read it on the headline of the news.

"Come and get it, hot wire." The guard snapped at her through the door.

"Hot wire? It's Short Fuse you idiot." She grumbled, as she approached the door.

"What was that, inmate?!?" The guard yelled. Within seconds he had the door to her cell open and began approaching her, two other guards standing in the hallway.

"I said it's Short Fuse. You. Idiot." She gritted through her teeth, standing toe to toe with the guard.

The guard punched her in the mouth first, then began to beat her repeatedly. The guards outside kept a lookout as the man taught her a lesson for misbehaving.

Riley felt her anger growing inside of her as the man continued to hit her. She let out a scream as she grabbed his arm and let her powers do the work. In a matter of seconds, Riley had electrocuted the guard.

The two guards in the hallway quickly whipped out their battons and slammed them down onto the smaller girl. The last thing she remembered was looking up in pain as a batton came down on her face. Everything went black after that.

————————————————————————

"Holy shit! Digger we're gonna be rich!" Riley yelled in excitement as she looked at all of the jewels they had collected.

"Yeah, you and me, love." Digger smiled at her. It was a soft, sweet smile. Not his usual cocky smirk. It sent butterflies throughout her entire body.

"Why don't ya go and bring the car around?" Digger spoke softly. She noticed something off with him. It was something so subtle she couldn't quite figure it out. But she sent him a smile back and left to go get the car.

Her heart had broken into a million pieces when she brought her car around to the front of the building. There he was, Captain Boomerang being walked out of the building in handcuffs, by The Flash. His eyes met hers and he gave her the tiniest nod, signaling for her to get away and leave him there. And that's what she did.

Riley woke with a start, sweat covering her forehead. This was a nightmare she had nearly every night. That was the last time she had seen Digger. In months? Years? She wasn't even sure anymore.

"What the hell?" She grumbled, yanking on the restraints tying her down to the chair. Sweat began to drip down her neck as she was being wheeled towards a group of soldiers. She wanted so badly to use her powers but she knew even then, she probably wouldn't be able to get out of her restraints.

"Let's get the nanite in place."

"The what?!? What the hell are you doing? Don't touch me, bitch!" Riley screamed, her fear suddenly turned to rage.

Riley let out a grunt of pain as something was injected into her neck. She let out a sigh of anger as she was wheeled towards a door, unsure of her fate waiting on the other side.