ricks representation is... questionable at best (part 1)

Start from the beginning

if you add onto all of this the whole 'man stealing' thing that happens with her and is just

things like the characterisation of drew tanaka can snowball. it's not just a thing you can blow off when there are harsh affects in real life.

now, moving on from drew (though if you want to comment here and add on to this i will definitely engage in a convo abt drew dw). let's move to ethan nakumara.

now, to be real with you. this is probably going to be brief as i don't actually have must to say off the top of my head. but if you have anything please do comment !!

to be honest, i just want to ask rick why one of the only few people of colour within the pjo books literally had to die. and to be honest, as a child of nemesis and his characterisation, he plays into the idea of 'cold east asian man'. but i want to know why you add in a person of colour, barely talk about them (for maybe two books) and then you kill them. his death was the turning point for the olympians, and maybe that's a good thing.

but why did you have to kill off a character? it seems pointless. you not only give him a flimsy storyline but you kill him off before he has a chance of redemption, before he has a shot at doing anything that might actually make him a recognisable east asian character.

now, to be real with you that's all i have to say as there is literally nothing left i think i can say. now as to move onto my final two, they'll be joined together.

but first, let's talk about the beta male syndrome rick pushed onto frank so badly. now, if you're wondering, hey, ro. what is a beta male?

in short, it is the desexualisation of east asian men (a very common stereotype that links to the sexualisation of east asian women) and making them less 'desireable' as a partner compared to others.

now it might not seem so obvious to you right now, but this is exactly what happens to frank. leo says he's worth at least 'three franks' (it might be two) and frank always seems to be the butt of jokes on dating, constantly feeling like leo is 'stealing' hazel away (this links to toxic masculinity as well dw i'll get back to that) and he generally is one of the most ignored characters out of the seven even though he is insanely powerful. he's characterised in canon as the 'nice guy' the one who's 'soft' and sort of is just there. it's the overall vibe we get from him.

but we forget that he literally could turn into a dragon, literally had his life tied to a piece of wood, literally killed all those poisonous dudes in venice (i forgot the name) and threatened a god when the god of farming was testing his patience.

frank zhang is always the 'nice guy' and that's because of beta male syndrome.

now the beta male syndrome stems as i said earlier from the sexualisation of east asian women. western men made men from east asia look less desirable, and often are used as comedic belief. such as in breakfast a mickey rooney who played mr yunoshi in breakfast at tiffany's (a literal white man, mind you) to further push the borderline propaganda for the desexualisation of east asian men. take with that what you will, but it's a reason i really don't like how rick wrote frank.

i'm not going to comment on it properly, but chinese canadian baby man. do not even mention his glow up to me, i will literally rant so fucking hard.

and remember his name is fai zhang ?

(just a brief hello from future ro I FORGOT ITS HIS LIKE CHINESE NICKNAME THING... as a literal person who has a nickname from my grandma because roisin wasn't chinese enough... yall i'm gonna wallow in embarrassment for a while)

yeah, literally nobody does.

because to assimilate into society, apparently frank needed a white name. hence, frank. i'm so annoyed by that. as somebody who when they were little felt a power struggle of maintaining balance, having to constantly be more of something to fit in- i hate this. i was born with an Irish name but was given a chinese as well by my mothers side, and i'm proud of said heritage. but for frank to constantly have to cover up his name, for only his grandmother to call him that now- no, i will simply not accept this.