29

The phone looked more like an impending doom over a simple communication device. Golden eyes skimmed at the files and flipped through pages until a determined finger tapped against a page. "Found it," she murmured as her reading glasses were set aside. "I still don't understand why they had to use such a small print." A smile curled on my lips in response. She sighed to herself as she wrote the number and names down on a piece of paper before she closed and set the folder aside. The phone sprung into her hand a moment later and she dialed the number with the spinning wheel. I gulped back any final regrets. The phone was held out in her palm. The ringing was deafening even though it was no different from a low hum.

"Hello?" An older woman's voice asked into the line. Alcina held the phone up for both of us to hear.

"Hello, is this Karen Bastille?" Alcina asked.

"Speaking. Make it quick, please. I have muffins in the oven that need to come out soon." The voice sounded more humorful than anything. Alcina chuckled as her eyes glanced at me. I smirked in reply.

"Well, my name is Alcina Dimitrescu. I am calling on behalf of your daughter, Elena Bastille." The gasp on the other end of the line painfully grabbed my chest. My heart felt like a tiger locked in a cage. I clenched my jaw as tight as possible in order to not say a word.

"Oh, I knew this day would come." The sullen tone quirked Alcina's brow. "Will Bob and I have to make funeral arrangements. I still wanted her buried in a Catholic cemetery." Alcina's head shook in disappointment as her face fell.

"No, no, your daughter is alive and well," Alcina assured.

"Oh? Then what does this call pertain to?"

"Well, you see, Umbrella sold your daughter a little while ago. And she was placed under my care."

"Oh, well bless you. Elena always was a wild child with a heart of gold. I hope you're treating her well over there." Shock spread across both of our faces as we stared at each other. Alcina cleared her throat as she continued. "I was wondering why that nice boy...oh I believe his name was George, wasn't giving us our monthly updates on her health. They would usually call to tell us that everything was fine or if it wasn't. I'm glad to see she's still alive and well."

"Yes, very much so."

"Well good she better be, or Bob will come over with the 12 gage." Alcina's eyes glowed at the idea. Amusement laced her low laugh.

"That won't be a problem. You see, I'm calling to let you know that she plans to be married. And she wanted your family's blessing."

"OH! She is? My little girl is getting married?" I stared at Alcina's grin in shock. This was the twilight zone for how my mother acted when they sent me away.

"Yes, she is."

"Who is he? Is he a nice boy?"

"Well, actually Mrs. Bastille-,"

"Oh, please! Call me Karen!" Her charming laugh took me by surprise.

"Karen," Alcina corrected with a clear of her throat. "She is actually getting married to me. I'm Alcina, I'll be your new in-law." The phone audibly dropped on the other end. My heart leapt to my throat. There it was. The shock drop. The phone was picked up a moment later.

"A-A-And who are you in relation to my daughter?" Her voice showed slight repulsion through the line. However, I gave points for trying to put up a friendly front. I bit my lower lip as Alcina's grin grew. I knew the mirth in that smile. She was going to toy with her for quite a while. I gulped as she pursed her lips together in thought. Her words filtered through her head and were chosen carefully.