11

I took in a deep breath as I cooked yet another meal for the daughters. My new temporary position was of a cook. I have been cooking for the past few days now. Oddly enough, Alcina had also been a bit colder to me recently. Whenever I had been able to come and see her in her study and say hi, I was cascaded away with different tasks for me to do. An influx of maidens had been hired throughout this time and I had been in charge of training the kitchen staff. Yes, it was a stressful time in life, but when I walked into Alcina's bedroom, that was when the stress faded. Granted, she was always in bed and already asleep by the time I got there, but it was nice to fall asleep next to her. I sighed as I finished off another meal to be sent out. I had some mulled blood brewing in a cauldron that they took out as a warm drink. It was getting colder out recently around the mountain. It was best for the girls to have something warm to drink and they loved this specifically. As I cleaned up the mess, Freida walked into the kitchen. A bright smile was on her face as always. She handed me the emptied plates and aimed for the blood.

"So how are things going out there?" I asked as I set the dishes in the sink. She shrugged as she grabbed the ladle.

"Just another dinner. Maybe our ladies are a bit less...happy than normal, but the staff is a bit...slow. It's understandable." I slowly nodded as I scrubbed at the dirty dishes.

"Oh, alright."

"Haven't you seen them?" A shoulders jumped into a slight shrug.

"Not really. I've been tasked with so much that I haven't had the time." Freida slowly nodded as she trailed back over to me. A gentle smile graced her lips.

"Awe well, it'll get better."

"Hey, can I...can I ask you something personal?" I asked as I set the dishes down in the soapy water. She nodded as the cup sat on the table. Her smile turned more curious as her brows furrowed. "Why do you smile? I have never seen any other expression on your face." Freida hummed as she nodded.

"Trauma makes us all a bit mad, don'tcha think?" She asked in response. Her smile was a bit more forced as she gripped the cup tighter and held it.

"I-I'm sorry," I mumbled. She shook her head.

"I smile because any other expression got me beaten as a child. It is nothing you did."

"Freida its okay to show emotions here." Freida tilted her head to the side in curiosity. "I mean...okay maybe not in front of our ladies, but you can be your real self around me. I won't hurt you." Freida slightly nodded as she slowly stepped away.

"I'll keep that in mind." She walked out moments later and left me to my dishes.

I sat in a smaller study that resided on the first floor. My head lulled on the back of the chair as I took in a deep breath. My chores were done for the night, and I was not ready for another task from Alcina. That peace was not there for long though. The distinct click of heels tapped through my ears. I took in a deep breath as they trailed to the door. I picked my head up as the door opened. Alcina crouched through and was genuinely surprised when she saw me inside.

"What are you doing in here?" Alcina's voice cut through the air like a knife. I gulped.

"I just finished in the kitchen. I was taking a moment to breathe. I-,"

"I have no time for your excuses! There is so much work to be done and I have been looking for you!" I opened my mouth to comment but had no chance. Task after task came from her at a rapid-fire rate. I was genuinely astonished. It was like she was trying to run a hole in the carpet by how fast she paced back and forth. When I made sure that I understood all of her tasks, she stopped and looked away from me. "Also, you are not coming to my room tonight."