Ghosts of the past, they come back to haunt you (also requests!)

Spoilers for episodes 40/41 of riptide
Tw/cw: panic attack, death

//

The sun that rose over the two ships flooded the sky with pink and orange, yet the wind still bit and the sea still flared with cold waves. It was a welcome change from the scorching fires that the navy had cast upon the pirate island, the one they shouldn't have attacked, Joaldo. The image of that tall silhouette on a burning ship, red trench coat flowing in the wind would not leave their minds for a while, especially not for Gillion, who held the untold knowledge that that man, the lanky and bony navy officer, was a Ferin. One of Jay's family members. He truly did not wish to scare her, to make her more panicked than she already was. He had seen how faint she looked as they moved away from the flaming dock, and how she had awoken early in a cold sweat that next morning, a half scream emanating from her throat and a petrified tremor in her hands. He had pretended to be asleep, hiding his startled expression under the water of his barrel.

Now the twin ships, one being the albatross, the other the crescent moon, glid across the calmed sea. Everyone was still in shock from the past night, only a few standing on deck and even they weren't going about their business with a spring in their steps. The crew, especially Gillion, were reeling from the loss of their large friend, Marshall John.

He had been perched on the pretzel figure head for hours, holding out his conch shell and begging for John to pick up, but of course, there was no response and the shell remained its usual pinkish cream colour.
"Come one John... I know you're still out there, destiny isn't done with you yet John." Gillion whispered into the shell. Again, all he received was an echo.

It had been hours, yet still he sat, listening to his breathing be mirrored in the empty shell. He felt so alone and then... not. A hand was placed on his shoulder, jolting him out of his almost trance like state, it was a human hand, and felt more masculine then feminine, so Gil made his guess.
"Chip? How are you doing after last night?"
"I'm... I'm doing alright. Just worried about Ollie, y'know," Chip's exhausted voice was tinted with surprise as he obviously didn't expect Gil to know it was him. "what're you up to then?" He asked.
"Just trying to contact him," Gil smiled weakly, waving his conch shell.
"Who?- oh yeah, John; listen, Gil, I think you need to accept that he's... gone."
"No... no he can't be, he has so much more to give!" Gil gazed up at Chip, who loomed above him on the bow, standing up and staring out to sea. Chip solemnly sighed.

On the shores of a now ruined island, strewn with bodies of the fallen, a man lurked about the dock, scavenging for something. He had seen the strange being with one similar, and ordered his men to take it from the other, no matter the cost. He had caught wind of her being there, and when he heard the being speak, it's name 'Gillian' or something like that, of knowing her, he knew he must find the item. It may be his only way to get her back.

He found one body, one that looked all to familiar. A burly man, with a torn navy uniform.
Finally.
He thought. It did bring a smile to his face to drag the bloodied and chipped item from his belt. Such a waste of navy talent.

"He's not dead!" Gillion insisted, anger creeping into his voice. "I'll prove it!"
Into the conch shell, he spoke
"Hello, John?"
Chip sighed.
"Gil I'm telling you, he's not going to answ- what."
Because as the triton said those words into the shell, it began to glow a dim blue. Gillion's smile widened. Little pieces of coral, similar to that on his head, grew from the conch.
In their little circle, all was quiet.

"Hello?" Gillion said, smile wide. To be completely honest he hadn't expected to get a response, he was just fooling himself to feel better.
"hello!" responded a
Strange
Unfamiliar
Definitely not John's
Voice.
The colour drained from Gillion's blue face, and chip took a small inhale.
"Who is this." Gil muttered, stony faced.
"Have you forgotten me so soon? Or do you need a reminder, let's just say, I should have killed that frogtopus when you left it on my ship."
Chip frowned in confusion but gillion immediately realised who this was.
"You... you're a Ferin." Gil growled. Chip's eyes widened in shock, calculating what and just been said and going through his options of what to say.
"Of course! And you're a pirate."
"Uh- yes!" Gillion proclaimed, turning to chip for affirmation, who nodded and gave a weak smile.
"Why do you have John's conch shell? And why did you attack joaldo? And why-" began Gil, but he was interrupted by the smooth talking Ferin man.
"Hold you horses there, my friend,"
"You are not our friend." Chip snapped.
"Either way, one question at a time. I have this shell because I saw you had one, and I... never mind."
"What? What are else did you know?"
"You know well what else I was going to say. She was pretty visible on your ship," and then he began to laugh. A terrible, cackling laugh. No wonder it haunted Jay in her night terrors.

Jay would recognise that laugh anywhere. Whether near or far, clear as day or muffled, she would recognise her father's laugh. The sound almost made her sick. Quiet as a mouse, she began to sneak towards the boys and stood still.
She could hear Gil and chip talking, yelling at him, but it was all muffled now.
"Stop- what the he- stop what. The hell. Are you doing." Jay demanded.

"Finally." The Ferin sighed.
"What do you want?" Jay said with a shaking voice and an incredulous note bleeding into it.
"You." He simply said. "I want you back. When I got back from navy duty a few weeks ago, of course I wanted to visit your mothers tavern and see you; but as you know Jay, you weren't there."
There was a pit in Jay's stomach. She could feel Chip's and Gil's eyes boring into her. All she wanted was to curl up and die. This couldn't be happening.
"How do you even know I'm with gillion and Chip? Or even on that island?!"
"You won that silly little tournament, news travels fast you know,"
"It had been two days!"
"We have spies everywhere," he said, an audible smirk in his voice. "We've been meaning to attack that island for a while, and this was just the straw that broke the camels back."
No no no
          Can't breathe
All my fault
          I killed them
Jay realised that if she hadn't been in that island they all would have lived. She, subvertantly or not, killed tens or even hundreds of pirates. She sank to the floor, breathing shallow and shaky.
"So you only attacked that island because... because Jay was there?" Gil asked.
"Well not only, but it was definitely a contributing factor,"
There was a silence between them.
"I'm glad I saw you on that silly ship, and very glad that you, mr... gillion? Was it? Had a conch shell. I asked my men to find the pair one, luckily they found it and killed-"

Enough was enough. In one quick motion, jay loaded her pistol, snatched the cinched shell, and shot it until it was just shards.

She could almost still hear his laughs echoing all around like a ghost.

Thanks for reading this first oneshot! I've got jrwi brainrot rn so expect a lot more XD please also leave you requests for (riptide) oneshots here as well :D ly all <3