Lies

Back at home, your mind is bursting with an enormous set of contrasting emotions. You creep up the stairs and peek into the main bedroom, Wanda wrapped within the blankets already asleep. You considered sleeping downstairs in the spare room. Partly due to the overbearing guilt you could not contain, feeling somewhat repulsed by your disloyalty but also because you didn't want to wake the dormant red-head. Though, in opposition to your inclinations, you slid next to her, taking her in your arms. Although you were physically present with another person, the space next to you felt somewhat empty now that Natasha was not inhabiting it. It felt fallacious to have another within your grasp.

At mornings arrival, you gave your most heartfelt attempt to seem interested in Wanda's day. Perhaps it hadn't worked as she planted a cold peck on your cheek before walking off in the opposite direction upon arriving at the compound. You occupied yourself for the day with neurotic filing and pent up mission reports, occasionally taking a trip downstairs to check on Natasha. However, every time you visited, the cell was occupied by another team member and therefore locked. Your stomach sank at each sight of the red buzzer, indicating your inability to see her.

Tony found you asleep at your desk, the computer still running as you drooled onto the hardwood - your forehead practically glued to your clasped arms.
"Kid. It's getting late, everyone's going home."
He shook your shoulders with his palm, stirring you awake.
You grunted, rubbing your eyes with the heel of your palms.
"I've got shit to do. I'll go later."
He shook his head, a half witted laugh escaping at your evident fatigue. He ruffled your hair before leaving the room.
The time read 10:28PM. Surely Natasha would be alone now. You texted Wanda quickly, not even checking for spelling mistakes before firing it away. You shot up from your seat, frantically powering down the computer before locking up and speeding downstairs.

As you rush through the halls of the basement, you realise outside Natasha's cell that you'd left the main entrance unlocked. However, you were too desperate to check on her to care and assumed that all would be well considering the compound had shut for the night.

As you slowly entered, she had her back turned to the door as she faced the wall at the other side of the room. Her breathing was hoarse and heavy, a low groan released with every breath she took. A sickness overtook you as she hunched against the surface.
"Nat, darling ?'
Carefully, you crept across the room before placing your hand gently against the back of her neck. She retracted from you, turning her head further away.
"Don't look at me. Please, it's not nice."
You took her tenderly in your arms, turning her head to yours with your hand against her jaw. She spun, revealing the multitude of cuts and bruises that littered her beautiful face. Her nose was dripping with fresh blood, slicking the layers of dried from previous. You tried your hardest as not to show your pain at her state - you didn't want to worry her.

"Oh, it's not so bad baby. I'll clean you up."
A string of tears dropped from her eyes.
"I know what it looks like. Pietro held me to a mirror. You don't need to sugar coat it."
Your ears became hot with fury, your teeth squealing as they grit together.
"I'll fucking kill him. I will, Natasha I'll-"
She held her index finger to your lips.
"Ssh, darling. It's okay. You're here, it's all okay."
You took a tissue from your pocket, removing yourself from Natasha to dampen it in the sink, returning to her again to caress her face. She continued to retreat from your touch, her eyes averted from yours as you tried to comfort her.
"Natasha, you're beautiful. You are beautiful. Please, let me help you. I don't care about a couple cuts and some blood."
Finally, she sunk into your arms and grinned weakly up at you.
"For the record, the bleeding nose is pretty hot."
She laughed, coughing in its end as her throat scratched.

You finish patching her up as, lifting her into the sorry metal bed that she was forced into.
"I'm letting no one in here tomorrow, okay. They'll fucking kill you."
She smiles, her cheeks becoming flushed under your protective nature.
"You can leave me now. Can't have your wife becoming suspicious."
You rolled your eyes, running your thumb along her cheek.

You leant in slowly, your eyes fixed against her mouth. As the tip of your upper lip brushed against hers, there came a crash from the hallway. You leapt back from Natasha, turning to face the window.

Wanda.

"What're you doing?"
She burst in as you turned back to Natasha, slapping her cheek forcefully as to diffuse any suspicion. Natasha's skin became crimson and swollen instantly, tears streaming as her lip quivered - her eyes blackened by faithlessness.
You turned back to Wanda, grinning and taking her in your arms.
"I don't want you to see this, baby. Wait for me outside okay."
She nodded shakily, removing herself from the room.

Before you could speak, Natasha stood in frail light, holding her hand against your back, ushering you to the door.
"I know why you did that. Don't say a word."
You became sick with culpability.
Upon reaching the door, you turned, taking her hand. She held it half-heartedly.
"Y/N. Before you come back, fix the lies your living. If you don't, I don't want to see you. You're not just hurting Wanda. You're hurting me."
She dropped your hand and closed the cell door on you. Limping slowly back to her bed. A stream of tears began, which you hurriedly wiped away as your breath caught at the back of your throat. You inhaled deeply, multiple times as you walked the hallway to meet Wanda at it's end.

To meet your lie.