Eclipsestar's Beginning [Warriors Fanfic]: Chapter 3

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Okay, I'm going to clear some stuff up before you read this chapter. The way Eclipsestar's(Pepper) old home worked is that the cat who is going to become the mentor of the to-be speaks during the ceremony. Not the leader. Yep, I decided it'd be a little original, sooo :3 Okay..I'll leave you with that then..BYE!

**************************************

"Pepper, please come up here," Swipe said. Today was the day that Pepper would finally become a to-be, the day he longed for his whole life. As Pepper climbed up the short, steep hill, he could just imagine how cool it would be to finally be a to-be. Rosie gave a quiet hiss as he just stood there, daydreaming. His eyes widened and he looked around, seeing most of the tribe silently chuckling.

"Pepper?" Swipe asked. "Oh, um, sorry." He replied embarrassingly. When he finally reached the top of the hill, he stood beside Swipe, looking at him. Swipe nodded and continued, "Today we gather here to welcome my new apprentice, Pepper." The tribe yowled in excitement, Rosie the loudest of them all. "Pepper, I promise to teach you everything I know to be the best Warrior for the next couple moons. Do you promise to be loyal to the clan and fellow clanmates for the rest of your life?"

Pepper nodded, a strange feeling forming in his belly. "Yes, Swipe."

"Well, that's good enough for me!" Swipe purred in amusement. He turned around and addressed the rest of the clan. "Thank you all for coming to witness the becoming of this to-be. You may go and continue with the rest of your day, and may the Endless Stars light your path." Every cat wandered off to hunt or something, and some congratulated Pepper. Once they all congratulated him, the small black and white tom leaped off to Talon's den to visit his friend.

Lightning should've become a to-be with me, he thought. Once he entered the den, Pepper stepped on some dry leaves, and Lightning got up in alarm. "Pepper! How are you? You haven't visited me in a while.."

"Oh, well, you know..busy." Pepper felt sympathy and sorry for his friend, he's been in there for a long time, and hasn't recovered as fast as expected. He also felt ashamed that he barely visited Lightning.

"Oh. I heard you became a to-be! You're so lucky!" Lightning exclaimed dully. "Talon says I get to become a to-be once I get better, but also said it'll take a little bit more longer." Pepper looked down in sorrow and heard his friend let out a long sigh. "Are you hungry?" Pepper asked.

"Not really..Talon's been over feeding me."

Pepper nodded and scuffled his paws. Lightning stared at him, and he could see a glint of unhappiness in his eyes. The to-be quietly and quickly said his goodbye, leaving the den.

"That was awkward.." Pepper grunted. As he trotted around the camp, he saw Talon heading back to the medicine cat den. The somewhat old cat seemed to be carrying some moss and was having some trouble.

Looks like he needs help, Pepper thought. He rushed towards the medicine cat and Talon nodded a thanks to him. Once they entered the den, Pepper noticed Lightning was missing. "Talon! Where did Lightning go?"

"Huh?" Talon asked. His head swiveled around and sighed. "Probably getting something to eat."

Strange, he thought. I didn't see him leave on the way here.. "Oh. Well, goodbye, Talon!" Pepper meowed. He turned around and could see that Swipe was searching for him.

"Swipe! I'm over here!" His mentor turned his head and ran to him. "Thank the Endless Stars! I thought a fox has taken you."

"A fox?"

"Yes, a fox! Haven't you heard? Pine found some scraps and bones of a rabbit, and he claims that it had fox scent on it." Swipe lifted his head. "Are you up for your first training session?"

Pepper felt excitement tingle inside of him. He was finally going to learn how to fight and hunt! "Oh, am I!"

Eyes shining, Swipe turned and was going to head for the training ditch, when a blood-curtling screech sounded from the base of the camp. "Talon is dead!"