24 - so many things that i wish you knew, so many walls up

Start from the beginning

"Skye?" I woke up to Zade shaking me awake and tiredly opened my eyes. "It's almost midnight."

I jolted right up and frantically started looking for my phone. "Oh shit. Shit, shit, shit. She's probably so mad," I repeated to myself, finally finding the phone on the kitchen counter.

"Your mom?" Zade wondered who'd followed me into the kitchen.

I didn't reply but turned off Do Not Disturb only to see fifty-four missed phone calls from Taylor and almost as many text messages. After a second's hesitation when my finger was hovering over the number, I finally pressed it and brought the phone to my ear. She picked up on the second ring.

"OH MY GOD, SKYE! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? Do you know how many times I've tried to call you!? It's fucking midnight! I thought you might be dead somewhere! I called, like, everyone we know and no one knew where you were! Do you realize how scared I was?!"

I let her ramble on for more than a minute and went to sit down on the couch in the living room again, taking in every word she said. She sounded so freaked out and I had never felt this bad in my entire life. I hid my face in my free hand as I started crying, and that's when Taylor stopped ranting.

"Where are you? Do not go anywhere. I will come and pick you up."

I shakily told her the address and we hung up. Zade stood next to the couch and I looked up at him, still sobbing.

"It'll be okay. Just tell her you fell asleep."

"Zade, I ran away. I argued with her, left her in the middle of the argument, ran away, ignored her calls, and didn't call her back until midnight," I counted on my fingers. "I'm the worst person ever."

He shook his head and went to sit down next to me, wrapping me in a hug. "No, stop it. You are not the worst person ever. You made a mistake, you were mad. Surely she'll see that."

We sat there until I got a text telling me to come down. I gathered my stuff while Zade and I said a quick goodbye. Her car was parked farther down the street and I went over to it, dreading the moment I'd have to see Taylor's face. My heart was beating so fast and a shiver went through my body when I touched the cold handle to open the back door.

She didn't say a word to me as I got into the back seat, and didn't even look at me as she started driving away.

The car ride was long, or maybe it just felt a lot longer than it actually was. Several times, I tried to apologize but each time I opened my mouth I got scared and shut it again. It would've been one thing if she was just my foster mom — I was sure teenagers had done worse things than this — but she was so much more than that. She was my favorite person ever, and I couldn't stand the fact that I'd hurt her.

When we finally pulled up in the garage that belonged to the apartment that I still hadn't gotten to see yet, it was already past one AM but I wasn't tired. We both got out of the car without saying anything and I followed her out and down the street to the apartment we were staying at.

I locked the front door behind me and turned back around again to see Taylor standing with her arms crossed and with an unreadable expression. I forced myself to meet her eyes and it broke my heart when I saw that she looked to have been crying.

"Skye," Taylor said, her voice hoarse and she cleared her throat. "Why did you run off like that without telling me?" She didn't even sound angry now, just weak and tired, and it made me feel even worse.

I already started to tear up again but I kept my gaze steady on her as I answered. "I-I was mad. I didn't want you to take my new friends away from me. It was- it was really, really stupid... I'm so sorry Taylor." Silent tears streamed down my face but I chose not to acknowledge them.