Chapter 3 (Trigger Warning)

En başından başla

Half a second and a gust of wind later, the two of them apparated to a portal to the mortal realm in a forest just outside their hotel in Romania. The two of them let go of each other, despite how much Amaris loved when Chris held her. They grab their bags, then Chris puts a hand on Amaris's shoulder and guides her out of the forest.

The hotel was old and historic, built with classic Romanian architecture. Cobblestone streets lined the town they were in; it almost looked medieval. Chris, in his human form, guides Amaris to the hotel. It was getting late into the evening, so despite the time difference, Chris would likely try to get Amaris to sleep, and the two of them would venture off to explore starting tomorrow.

Demons had no need for sleep, despite their being a demon in charge of laziness. There was a difference between sloth and legitimate rest; demons rarely ran out of energy, so any form of "relaxation" that they engaged in was purely for pleasure. However, Chris obviously knew that Amaris needed to sleep, so he tried to make sure she always had the comfiest places to rest in.

The hotel was quaint, but it was lovely. With as flashy as much of the demon realm was, visiting a place that was quaint and quiet was a nice change of pace. Chris gets the two of them checked in, then they head upstairs to the room.

"I like this," Amaris comments as they walk in.

"Yes, I think it'll do quite nicely."

Amaris unpacked a few things, then went off to the bathroom to shower and change into some comfier clothes. When she comes out, she crawls into the bed and begins flipping through one of her books on Romanian folklore, knowing that Chris would want her to relax and get to sleep soon.

It was difficult for her to focus though. With a lot of the new information she'd found from her readings in the library, she had more questions about her life as a mortal in the demon realm than ever before.

Chris had been out on the balcony, but he steps back in and smiles to Amaris.

"Think you'll be able to try and sleep?"

Amaris nods, "Maybe."

"You okay?" Chris asks, sitting on the bed next to her; he smiles, "Scared of officially becoming a teenager?"

Amaris gives a small smile in return, "No," She says, "But, um...can I ask you a personal question?"

As Amaris had gotten older, her conversations with Chris became much more mature and meaningful; emotionally intimate. They laughed and had fun too, but Amaris was more open and honest and vulnerable around her demon than she was with anyone. Admittedly, Chris was all of those things with her too.

"Of course, princess. What's on your mind?"

Amaris fiddles with her necklace that had Chris's sigil on it. She wore it with her always, partly because it symbolized Chris always being with her. Partly because it was the last piece of her mother that she had.

"What happened to my parents?" Amaris asks, "How did they die?"

Chris sighs. He knew this question would come eventually.

There were bits and pieces of the story that Amaris knew already. She knew that her mother, Carlotta, had been a witch. Amaris knew that Carlotta had used her magick to summon Chris so that she could get pregnant, and that before she died, she used magick to forcefully turn Chris into Amaris's guardian demon. This was the extent of Amaris's knowledge though.

"Well," Chris starts, deciding Amaris was old enough to know, "Your mother died a few hours after you were born. Her body just couldn't handle the pregnancy and childbirth. There was nothing I could do to save her."