Chapter 13: Excuse

En başından başla

"Alright!" I grabbed his hand then dragged him to the game house.

Some students were playing shooting rings. A mini carousel had a long lane, full of kids. The noise from the players combined with the loud echoes from karaoke... I didn't know where to start.

"Miss Arjera, let's have a bet."

"Bet?"

"How many balls can he shoot in one minute?" He pointed at the man in front of a mini basketball ring.

"Is it alright..?" I thought that it might be rude to use someone in a bet... until Kyou approached him and asked for his permission. The man explained that he's a friend of Zou named Kein. Now, it makes sense.

"I can shoot about 11 baskets in one minute," he said so we would have a basis.

"Kyou, what will you get if you win?"

"The winner can request something from the loser. If it's a tie, we can request something from each other."

Agreeing with the conditions, Zou's friend bought a token on the counter then inserted it into the basketball machine.

"Then, I believe 11 will go in."

It was what exactly Kein told us. If I had to choose, the gap between Kyou's answer and mine shouldn't be that far. The question was 'Do I need a tie?'

I looked at Kyou and asked, "What do you wish for?"

"Your happiness, Miss Arjera," he answered.

His smile that I used to be irritated with, somehow... moved something deep inside me. Lies or not, he's a friend I decided to trust.

"I guess..." I took a deep breath. "It will be 12!"

"No room for draws!?" Kein gasped.

Well, I'd rather lose than have a tie because there's a chance he'll use the prize as refusal for my request. It would be just the same as no prizes. The difference was only my request would be revealed!

I shouldn't take that risk. It may not look like it but shyness usually buried me. I even forgot to write my last will.

However, thinking that I chose a higher number made me think that...

"Heh. I might be a gambler in my past life."

"A-Ahahahah... What a smug you got there, Miss Arjera."

"Go, Kein! I believe in your precious ability!"

"Ignoring me, I see. I'm getting jealous, Miss Arjera."

I might hate to admit it but I suddenly avoided eye contact, wondering if it was from embarrassment...

"That was fun!" I stretched my arms upwards.

Five minutes had passed and the winner was declared. We exited the game house. While the winner was humming to oneself's victory, the loser awaited the request.

"You're indeed a gambler in your past life..," he said, dragging his feet.

I grinned. "So, what's your real wish?"

"What's yours first?"

I was still hesitating... because my request was something that I should not decide.

"Alright, I'll tell you mine first." He volunteered. "Inviting you here to calm you down was an excuse. I apologize for lying..."

"Lying..? Oh, It's fine, I had fun anyway!"

Plus, because he confessed that, I realized something very important.

"I'm glad you had fun... I was selfish to drag you here just to be with you. I used this opportunity to forget our problems and ask you to not think of yourself as a burden."

"Oh my, Zou also told you..?"

"That's also an excuse anyway because it feels like you'll leave me anytime, blaming yourself-"

"I won't leave." I interrupted. "Indeed, I blamed myself but I'm also selfish. I was thinking like a good girl, caring for your safety. But deep inside, I'm nervous that you'll regret meeting me so I tried to help."

Yeah, I guessed it's the same case with my family... "I just don't want to be useless..."

I took a deep breath. "My excuse was much worse than yours..! I decided to stick with you until the end, so bear with it! That's my request!"

He was silenced for a moment until a crowd separated us. Calling each other's name, we failed to reach our hands.

"Stick, my foot... Where did those people come from?"

"Sa~ Who knows, Miss Myle Arjera?"

Before I knew it, her arm was already across my shoulder. Thanks to Kyou, I didn't panic that much. My heart rate was still rising though.

"Was it fun toyin' with me?" She whispered. "Apologize and I'll spare your life..."

"I'm sorry."

"That was fast!" She let go and stepped back.

Well, I was wrong in that part so it's better to apologize.

"Ma'am Carsel, why are you targetting them?" I tried to check if my phone was in my pocket and luckily, it was.

"I have no reason to tell you." She suddenly looked away then begun to count down...

"3... 2... 1..."

"What are you-?"

"Boom." I read from her lips since a loud blast at our back made me covered my ears.

Everyone's attention was directed to the flames. People's screams echoed throughout the mall. The noisy footsteps of the crowd had also increased.

As the building started to collapse, I stiffened because for the first time in my life..,

I encountered an explosion.