Late In The Night

It wasn't that late at night, but it was late enough. Time to set his plan to action. Would leaving Voltron be easy? With the people he's spent a year with? They were only humans in space for galaxies. And he was just going to leave them without a word. Why wouldn't he? They say they're his friends, but in reality he was just the odd one out. The misfit, the seventh wheel.

Lance shuddered at the last thought. He knew what he was doing was risky, it could jeopardize the universe. But who was he to judge what Voltron did? He's had this nagging voice in the back of his head for months. It felt similar to Blue, but softer. Kinder. Like a mother almost. Repeating the same words,

Find me.

Leave them.

They do not need you.

They are not worthy enough to be with you.

My paladin...

Find me!

Another shiver ran down his spine and earned him a worried gaze from Shiro. The Black Paladin tried to be there for everyone but he was the only human adult in a castle full of children. He walked over to the Blue Paladin and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Everything okay, Lance?" Concern laced Shiro's voice.

"'m fine. Just a cold chill." A lie. A bold-faced lie. To Shiro, his hero.

"If you feel any worse, let someone know." A comforting smile found it's way to Shiro's lips. Because honestly, who could hate Lance? That's not what he thinks, anyways. "I'm sure Coran would have some type of medicine for it."

Lance nodded. "Will do, Shiro."

Shiro ruffled his hair and he squawked indignantly, ducking out of the way. He let out a whine and tried fixing the mess but stopped. No use in doing that without a brush. Chuckling, Shiro turned to follow the other paladins.

"Come on, Lance. Take a break before dinner. The others will be in the common room."

"I'll be there in a minute. Just need to sort myself out. Can't go looking like this!" Lance chuckled and gestured to himself.

Shiro smiled before turning to leave. "I'm sure they'll figure it out if you're late. Don't worry, we wont start without you."

"Sure thing." Lance followed, but turned and headed towards his room. Blue purred something in the back of his mind. Good luck, my paladin. I will always be with you if you need me.

Thanks, Blue. If I can pull this off, it'll be a miracle.

He grabbed a few bags and headed towards the pods, the other paladins completely unaware of his plan. Save for maybe Coran. The old Altean had some knowledge of Lance's misfortune, being thrown into a war where his own friends were better friends with each other than him. Lance left the papers on his desk. Letters for the team. One for each and one for all of them.

After he made it to the escape pod hangar, he headed to the farthest one, there was one missing from when Shiro shot Sendak back to space. Lance quickly opened the pod and threw the few bags in so he could go back and get the rest. The door to the hangar closed and Lance knew someone had caught him.

"Lance? I know you're in here. I won't tell the others, but please, come out." Coran. Of course.

Lance poked his head out from behind another pod. He knew there was no use in hiding from Coran so, shyly, he came out of his hiding place.

"Hey Coran. You caught me." He laughed nervously.

"Is this about that voice you told me about?" Coran asked.