What Once Was

Before Uncharted Territory

Sydney, Australia 

Time? 12:22 p.m.

With my faded dress and worn shoes, I know I can't go. 

"Look at those black storm clouds mate!" A man points out to me, who is seated in a Beetle Red Rock. "I'll give you a ride wherever you're headed, come on in." 

"Stop following me pervert! Leave me alone!" I snap back, anxiously gazing across the large expanse of rolling clouds. The reddish gold glints of my hair whip at my eyes. 

"Suit yourself." The man set his chin grimly, before starting to roll up his window. "You're in for a cloud burst."  

"Wait." I say fearfully. "WAIT!" The sky becomes increasingly dark though it is noon. The wind turns stiff as the car speeds off and I am left alone on the side of the road again. A sack of clothing in one hand and my dumb sixth sense in the other. 

I know this city, but with the angry rain beating against my face, it is harder to keep on course. I'll be drenched before I reach the airport.  I have to keep going. My grandfather's life depends on I and I alone. 

As I pick up my pace toward the airport, I grip the hem of my dress tightly. I had rushed out of my grandfather's dinner party in Brisbane before he could keep me from going anywhere out of his sight. 

I must find the "Johi Coins" to save his life. I must. 

YOU WILL PAY DAVID GREY. TIME WILL RUN OUT AND YOU WILL PAY.

The blackmailed emails to my grandfather display themselves in a streak of fork lightning across the sky, momentarily disclosing a mass thick of angry faced clouds.  

A black van fairly leaps through the puddles of water, spraying my face. 

"Hey!" My wail is followed by an ominous crack of thunder that makes me jump as I tumble to the ground. A moment later, the wind begins to howl as I grasp my knees for support. 

Another dazzling flash of lightning lights the sky. I glance about at the black van in my sight. Then, I see an inky glove flash out of the open car door with a gun. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vi Here! Hope you liked this banging second chapter to the story! They will get longer as you read. My way of writing this series is to have short action chapters and slowly build to those longer chapters that will weave everything together to keep the suspense high 💟

Let me know what you thought of Lisa Stride and what you think will happen next!  Who do you think could be the man in the van? What could be so special about the "Johi Coins" anyway?