The Prince's Lesson

Start from the beginning

"I think it would be. You have aggravated me to no end, and some days I wish I could bash your head in, but cleaning that up would be a waste." Y/N rolled her eyes. Sebastian's understanding of emotions was painfully inept.

"Because I would just grow my head back?"

"Because it wouldn't solve the problem and because your regeneration appears to be quite the painful experience. The curses that flew from your mouth when you lost your arm were something fierce." Y/N looked at the demon. His eyes looked as if he was fondly looking back on the moment. She remembered he had thought something similar when Ciel summoned him. "And while I find your pathetic whining to be more than inconvenient, it's tolerable. On occasion you might even say something close to a fragment humorous."

"You're an asshole," Y/N laughed under her breath, "But I can deal with it. That's what friends are for." Y/N patted him on the arm before suggesting they rejoin the other three.

"Amazing, wasn't he?" Lau asked as Sebastian poured him and Ciel tea. "That fellow from before. It was beyond anything that could be defined as human." If Lau knew that the human to nonhuman ratio in that room was dangerously close, he might have chosen different phrasing.

"He was in the state of 'Samadhi'," Soma muttered. To say he was miserable was an understatement. He was a ticking time-bomb of rage, and he was going to explode in mere moments. "No one can lay a hand on him when he gets like that."

"Samadhi?" Ciel repeated. Sebastian had a similar state he could go into. Only Ciel had seen it and lived to tell the tale.

"It is to do with religion, yes?" Sebastian asked. "A kind of trance state. Human beings are rare creatures that can produce tremendous power derived from intense belief that gives way to a kind of blind faith. The Norse Vikings of Yore became berserkers in the name of their war god Odin... The Paladins of the Crusades fought in the name of Yahweh by invading foreign lands time and time again..." Y/N had a gut feeling that Sebastian might've been present for both of those events. "He too numbers among them." He was referring to Agni and his belief in Soma as a part of his God. "Because of his absolute devotion to his 'God' and 'Master', Prince Soma... He can invoke power that is beyond human. It is power that our like cannot boast... That which is born of belief and love for another... A power known as 'Faith'." The demon butler was not only referring to his own people who knew nothing of faith, but to the other humans in the room as well. Neither Ciel nor Lau would ever possess such a power, and Soma was far too selfish. Y/N might've been able to access a version of this 'Faith' powered ability, but she herself was skeptical. The demon smirked to his young master and watched Y/N as she pieced it all together.

"Then why..." Soma grumbled, "Did he betray me?" Y/N snapped out of her trance and ducked. She was sitting right next to the Prince and he was a second away from snapping. "Why did he willfully abandon me!?" Not a second before Y/N leaned back in her seat did Soma throw his tea cup and plate.

"Why you-" Ciel stood up in shock. Everyone knew the Prince would snap but they didn't think he would thrash about. Every piece of glass and silverware on the table was tossed into the air during the Prince's fit.

"Why does everybody leave my side!? Why!?" Soma shouted at them all, not waiting a moment for an answer. "How come..." The Prince didn't even finish his sentence before storming off to his room. It was like a small child's temper tantrum but on a much larger scale. Glass was broken everywhere and tea was beginning to seep into the carpet.

"Are you three alright?" Sebastian hadn't been close enough to get splashed by any of the spilled tea but Y/N had gotten it all over her torso.

"We ducked, so we're fine," Lau assured him.