8

Whenever he had been on a bad date he needed to see Louis and Harry. Thankfully they didn't mind at all. He needed to hear their lovely thoughts about each other and towards him. Harry's thoughts were always kind. Always. Louis could be a little sassier but he was honest. Whatever he was thinking he also said out loud. Niall appreciated that. There was no bullshit when it came to Louis.

"Another one?" Harry asked when he opened the door.

"Yep." Niall sighed.

Harry hugged him before he let him inside. Louis was in the living room with all four kids. They were watching a movie together, having a family night. His heart clenched. It felt like he was intruding.
"Hi mate, take a seat." Louis smiled. His thoughts didn't say that he was intruding so Niall relaxed a little.

He wanted this. So badly. He sighed unhappily. He could feel someone's eyes on him and he knew that it was Darcy who picked up on his emotions. Suddenly he felt a rush of joy wash over him. That was strange. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Darcy. She was smiling at him. Did she do that? Impossible! Or maybe not. He had figured out a couple of years ago that he could plant thoughts in people's heads. That had been terrifying and it was something he never did again, after he accidentally had done it to one of his coworkers. You didn't mess with people's thoughts like that, just like you didn't mess with their emotions.
"Darcy? Can I talk to you in private please?"

She looked caught.
"I'm watching a movie uncle Niall. Can't it wait?"

"It will only take a minute. Come on. You can help me get something to drink." Niall said and stood up to go to the kitchen. He caught Harry's confused look and gave him a smile to let him know that it wasn't anything serious.

Darcy dragged her feet behind him, thinking about cinnamon rolls. As soon as they entered the kitchen he turned around, eyeing her curiously.
"Did you just change my emotions?"

"What are you talking about?" Darcy said with an innocent look on her face. Too innocent.

"Don't give me that crap. Just listen sweetie, our abilities are similar. You can feel people's emotions and I can hear their thoughts. I'm gonna let you in on a secret. I can plant thoughts in people's heads, something I found out by accident." Niall said.

She gasped and stared at him in disbelief. Great, now he was scaring her.
"That doesn't mean that I do it. I NEVER do that. It's wrong on so many levels. People are entitled to their own thoughts, just like they are entitled to their own feelings. Do you understand? Even if you can change how someone is feeling it doesn't mean that you're gonna do it. I know you meant well. You could sense that I was sad and you just wanted me to feel happy. I get that and that's sweet. That doesn't mean that you can change the way I feel. Your ability is an amazing gift Darcy, use it well."

She teared up.
"I'm sorry Uncle Niall. You're always so sad, especially after you've been on a date. You're so great! You deserve to be happy. I just wanted you to be happy!" Tears spilled over and she was crying.

Niall sighed and pulled her in for a hug.
"Don't cry, sweetie. It must be hard for you to feel how sad I am sometimes, and I'm sorry about that. I'm okay, Darce. You don't have to worry about me. You know what? You're the only one who really knows me, and I cherish that."

"I just want you to be happy. You deserve that." Darcy cried.

"I am happy in so many ways. You must feel that too, right?" Niall said.

"Yeah." Darcy agreed.

"Good. Just think about what I said. Don't mix with people's emotions. It's wrong sweetie. Okay?" Niall said and pulled back. He dried her cheeks and gave her a light peck on the head.

"Okay." Darcy agreed.

They returned to the living room and finished watching the movie. He could see both Harry and Louis giving them worried glances but they didn't say anything. When the movie was over the kids disappeared into their rooms. Harry and Louis went to say good night and made sure they brushed their teeth. When they returned they immediately asked Niall what was going on with Darcy.
"Well, she has figured out that she can use her ability in a different way." Niall said carefully.

"Okay?" Louis questioned.

"She can't just feel people's emotions, she can also make them feel things, change their emotions. Don't worry. I talked to her and explained why she shouldn't do that but I think you should have a talk with her too." Niall explained.

"Of course. But are you sure about this?" Harry questioned.

"Yes. I was sad when I came here and suddenly I was happy, like over the moon happy. I asked her about it and she admitted that she had made me feel happy instead of sad because she worries about me." Niall explained.

"That's actually kind of sweet." Louis commented.

"Yeah, this time. She's so young guys. She's a hormonal teenager. What if she makes the boy she has a crush on feel like he's in love with her? Or if she's angry at someone, what if she makes them feel depressed? She can do that." Niall tried to explain.

"Yeah, I get your point. Really bad." Harry sighed. He looked worried.

"Damn! Like it's not hard enough to foster a teen. A teen with special abilities is on a whole other level! One of them can hear us have sex. I'm sure he's scarred for life. The other one can mix with people's emotions. I don't even know what to think about what kind of abilities that Dahlia and Dante will get." Louis stressed.

"You're not alone. I'm here. I worry about Darcy because she's only fifteen and might not understand the consequences her ability can have. I was in my mid-twenties when I discovered a new side to my ability, one that I never use." Niall said.

"And what is that?" Louis asked.

"Well, you know... I can plant thoughts in people's heads. I'm sure I could do more but I have never explored it." Niall said, trying to wave it off.

"You can make us think what you want us to think? Prove it!" Louis said.

"Are you sure?" Niall asked, looking between them. They both nodded their heads.

Niall closed his eyes and relaxed and put the lyrics to Spicegirls Wannabe in their heads.
"Sing."

They both started to sing at the same time and gasped when they both sang Spicegirls. They stared at Niall in disbelief.
"You did that?"

Niall scratched the back of his head awkwardly.
"Uhm yeah, but as I stated before. I never use this part of my ability because it's wrong. A violation. I tried to explain that to Darcy."

"Yeah, we get what you mean. We'll talk to her about it. Thanks for looking after her Niall." Harry smiled.

"Of course. I love all your kids. Just, keep talking to her about it. She needs to be reminded about it, until she fully understands the consequences and the moral compass she has to follow." Niall said.

"Do you think Damien can develop his ability too? Like... make people hear things?" Harry asked.

"It's possible but I don't think so. Maybe he can make other people hear like he does, just like you can stop time but include us? Our abilities work differently. Darcy's, Evan's, Eden's, and mine are controlled by our minds. Your ability Harry I have no fucking clue how it works, but your ability Louis is more of a mind-body kind of thing. Right? Like muscle memory. Liam's is body only. Zayn's and Wolf's I haven't really figured out how they work, where they come from. They create something with their hands. Do fire and ice run through their veins or what?" Niall rambled.

"Uhm, I have no idea. I've never really thought about it." Louis replied and Harry shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, someone has to. Just talk to her, keep an eye on her, and be aware of any sudden mood swings around you or within you, okay? I'm gonna go home now. It's getting late." Niall smiled.

Louis and Harry promised to stay alert.