Kabanata 2

Kabanata 2

Map

I woke up with a heavy heart which reminded me of what happened in my past. Bumangon ako sa kama at sumalubong sa akin ang simoy ng hangin na galing sa labas.

The room is filled with indigenous materials. Mukha itong kubo pero mas lalong pinaganda lang. Napatingin ako sa suot ko and I'm wearing Yuki's clothes, white sleeveless and shorts.

Saglit akong napatawa nang mapagtanto ko na I was the one who makes use of her clothes. Then suddenly, at that very moment, I remember what happened earlier.

I was on the brink of death there. Although the water is not deep, the current was too powerful for me to bear, causing me to drown as a result of my panic attacks. Napasapo naman ako sa ulo ko nang maalala ko ito pero agad naman akong umiling at bigla kong naalala ang isang taong tumulong sa akin kanina.

Dave

I'm suddenly reminded of him. I remember how he grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the water to save me from drowning. Everything is fresh in my mind. Dumiin akong napapikit ng mata ko dahil sa nangyari.

That was a terrible idea. Terribly, really stupid.

I pulled myself out from the cover and went to the side, where I found my slippers, preparing to stand up. Nang makatayo na ko at halos papunta na ako sa labasan ng kubo. I heard footsteps approaching from below, so I turned to look and saw Dave holding a tray of water and a loaf of bread with a medicine beside.

I took a step back because he was only two steps away from the door. He merely looked at me with a blank expression and a dizzy eye.

"You're okay, now?" tanong nito sabay lapag ng tray sa lamesa malapit sa bintana.

Tumango ako.

"Mabuti naman." aniya.

As he turned away from me, I flashed him an awkward smile. Napakamot ako sa batok ko sabay umiwas ng tingin sa kanya.

"About what happened earlier—"

"Huwag—" he raises his voice.

For a brief moment, my eyes were startled, but as he recognized the tone of his voice, he quickly cleared his throat.

"I mean... huwag mo nang aalalahanin 'yon. Just take yourself a rest and..." he took a breath and turned his back.

"Eat some here and take this medicine. It was from your friend and if you're looking for her, kinakausap niya pa ang may ari ng bangka para makabalik na kayo sa isla." sabi niya sabay turo sa tray.

I just nodded because I have nothing to say to his orders.

"I'll leave you here, you can take a rest there for a while." he paused and slightly faced me with a smile formed on his lips.

"That would be okay?" he asked for assurance.

I nodded once again but this time I spoke a word, "Yes."

"Sige." he said with a smile.

He walked away from me and turned around to face the exit. He was about to step on the stairs, ready to leave when I spoke.

"Salamat." sabi ko.

Lumingon ito ulit sa akin habang nakapikit na sa dalaydayan handang handa nang bumaba sa kubo.