“Aye. You kids have fun.”

 *

 I was slowly starting to realize my huge, huge mistake as we sat down at Opa!, and the waiters greeted us with a flourishing “Opa!” and all the cheesy Greek stuff that comes with a cheesy Greek restaurant happened. Teagan loved it though, and I was staring at her as she laughed, wondering what am I doing?

 Conversation was light, easy, I cracked jokes and she blushed easily when we flirted harmlessly. But inside I was feeling bad, so bad, because at this moment Maya was out with someone else too – someone she barely knew, as opposed to me, and as terrible as it sounded I didn’t want to be there at Opa! with Teagan Russell, I just wanted to be with Maya Sumedh; it didn’t matter where, I just wanted to be the one with her – and I didn’t want it to be that Zayn guy.

 But she wanted it to be him, not me.

 To be honest, it hurt like a motherfucker.

 “Hey. Luke.”

 I looked at Teagan, chewing my mouthful of lamb kebabs.

 “Sorry, what?”

 She narrowed her eyes at me.

 “Are you okay?”

 I swallowed.

“Y-yeah, I’m fine. Sorry, I just, er, spaced out a little.”

  She nodded. “Ah. Well, I was just asking if you want to share a Caesar salad. I don’t think I could have all of it.”

 I hate Caesar salad.

 “Sure.”

 *

 Nine o clock, my phone started to ring, cutting Teagan off as she was telling me about her surfing back in California. I sent her an apologetic look and then dug it out of my pocket. It was Sam.

 “Sorry,” I told her, getting up, “But I think I have to take this.”

 She nodded, sitting back and crossing her arms.

 “Sure, it’s okay.”

 I stepped out to the front of the restaurant and answered.

 “What’s up?”

 “Luke, call Maya.”

 Sam’s voice was urgent, and I felt worry immediately.

 “Whoa, what happened?”

 “I didn’t realize, but I don’t know anything about this Zayn dude so I’ve been trying to call her, and she’s not being picking up, so can you just see if you can reach her? I wouldn’t disturb you, but – ”

I cut him off quickly. “No. I’ll call her now.”

 “Thanks,” he said fervently.

 “No problem.”

 I hung up quickly. A quick glance inside the restaurant told me that Teagan was doing something on her phone – I didn’t want to leave her waiting but this had to be done. Sam was right in checking up on Maya.

 A frown slipped onto my face as I scrolled through my contacts to get to her number.

 I dialled, and then I waited. It rang, and rang, and rang – she didn’t pick up.

 Maybe she’s in the bathroom. Try again.

 So I did. Second time too, no response. And the third. And the fourth.