Sam x Bucky plus friend reader

Warning: mild cussing

*I published this story in one of my other books I didn't steal it*

Word count: about 1500

POV 3rd person

They don't know why they keep falling asleep next to each other and waking up holding onto each other in some way, at first. But, Sam and Bucky have both noticed that they don't have many - if any - nightmares when they are close to the other. They don't talk about it. They mostly play it off as if they hate when it happens however they will still gravitate towards the other whenever they are tired and just need to sleep.

It started on a mission that they were paired up on. It was Steve, (y/n), Bucky, and Sam. They were simply going to a confirmed Hydra base that was abandoned. Normally if it was abandoned only two people would go but the base was colossal compared to the normal bases, so, doubling up seemed an easy and relatively quick way to get the job done. Pair up and make sure the place really was abandoned and not a trap then look for any files or working computers for any information that can be useful. 

The pairing of Steve with (y/n) and Sam with Bucky was not well-liked by the two men but it was logical. (y/n) and Bucky both knew how to speak Russian and a few other languages so putting one on each team seemed like the right thing. But seeing as Bucky and Steve were not the best with computers putting them with someone who knew how to do some basic hacking if needed was also the right thing. So that meant the pairings had to be done that way.

There weren't any humans there but Hydra did have a few traps set up that were tripped. Sam walked through a laser that started a small fire that almost burnt Sam. Bucky had saved him and put the fire out. Small stuff like that keep happening to the men and they just keep protecting and saving the other. 

After getting as much as they could they made their way back to the jet and made a course back to the tower. Sam and Bucky set next to each other and ended up falling asleep with Bucky's head on Sam's shoulder and Sam's head on Bucky's head. Of course, Steve and (y/n) saw but never told anyone. Sam and Bucky were their best friends and knew saying anything to the team would just get the two men picked on. This kept on almost every time they were on missions together.

The first time it happened without it being on the way home from a mission was during movie night. The whole team was there but was too focused on the film to notice that Bucky and Sam had started dozing off just like they do on the jet. Bucky's head on Sam's shoulder and Sam's head on top of Bucky's head. All but Steve and (y/n). They were all sitting in the back in a line next to each other. It went Steve, Bucky, Sam, and then (y/n) at the end. So, when the man with the metal arm and the man with metal wings fall asleep like that, their friends tried to separate them so the others didn't notice when the movie stopped or when they would get up to get a drink or something but every time they tried they either would find their way back to the other or simply just grab onto the other tighter so they couldn't be taken from the other.

By the end of the movie, the two friends had given up on trying to separate them and just hoped no one would question it. Pleasantly no one really said anything. They all looked surprised and bewildered but didn't make any jokes, not even Tony. Also luckily the oversized chairs that were in the home theater are recliners so they were able to lay their friends out some and not have to wake them.

After that, the team had started to notice that it happened all the time. They would walk into the living room to find them cuddled up together sleeping or their hands or feet touching. They needed to be touching. otherwise, they would wake or find the other in their sleep.

Finally, Steve and (y/n) had decided they wanted the two to stop acting like waking up with the other in their arms was the worst thing that could happen, and needed to come up with a plan. It was simple, get them to admit they liked each other. Steve was not completely sure if it was a romantic like or simply as friends, he didn't really mind either way, but he was tired of them two acting like they hated each other. (y/n) on the other hand, knew they had romantic feelings for the other. (y/n) had seen the looks they give the other when they think no one is looking and how they linger around trying to avoid saying bye or goodnight (when they didn't fall asleep on the couch together). How they would clench their jaws and fist and then look or walk away whenever someone would flirt with the other at one of Tony's giant parties.

"Steve, how are we going to do this?"

"Unsure right now but I know we have to. The fake hate is really getting on my nerves."

"You know what, I have a plan I don't know if it will work but at least it is something we can try."

"What?"

"Okay, this is what we are going to do......."

*******

"Steve let my arm go. Where are we going? Steve dude really where are we... (y/n) what's going on? Why are we stopping at Sam's bedroom? You two going to kidnap him too?"

"No, now hush." (y/n) knocks on Sam's door.

"It's unlocked."

(y/n) opens the door and looks in to see Sam getting ready for bed. "Perfect. Steve."

With that Steve pushes Bucky into the room and (Y/n) slams it shut.

"F.I.R.D.A.Y lock the door and don't let them out till Steve or I say so."

"Yes (y/n)."

"Dudes with the hell is going on?"

"Relax Buck once you two finally talk about what is going on between the two of you. And don't play dumb. (Y/n) and I are y'all's best friends heck the whole team has noticed something going on. Now figure it out."

"Damn it you two I was about to go to sleep."

"Figure it out and I or Steve will let you out until then  we are going back to our rooms and going ourselves to sleep."

"Wait how are we going to sleep if I am stuck in Sam's room?"

"You have not had a problem sleeping next to each other for a while now Buck."

"Goodnight boys."

And with that, the two walk away leaving a red-faced Sam and even more red-faced Bucky. The two know how they have been feeling towards the other but the other has no clue how the other feels about them and they are too scared to tell them because what if? What if they don't feel the same? What if they tell and the other one decides they can't be around them anymore because it would be too awkward? What if they can't sleep next to the other one? What if the other no longer chases the nightmares away? 

"So......" Sam starts saying not sure what to do.

"So, the whole thing about us sleeping with the other that, um, seems to have gotten the attention of our friends."

"Yes, it seems it has."

They both just stand there lost for words. Wanting to tell the other how they feel how much they care even though they tried to stop the feelings from happening.

"Why do you fall asleep on my shoulder all the time?"

"Why do you let me? And why do you use my head as a pillow?"

"I asked first."

"I'd rather... I.." Bucky stops to take a deep breath before finally just saying something that can tell how he feels without really saying it. "I don't have nightmares when I am with you. You make me feel safe."

Sam strides up to him in three large steps and embraces him in a tight hug. Softly whispering "you are safe Bucky. With me you are safe. You chase away my nightmares too you know?"

"Really?"

"Ya, you make me feel safe too."

They stand there holding the other close and smiling. Maybe somehow they are falling harder in love than they already were and they are okay with that. As long as they have the other in their arms they will always be safe.

That night they slept in one other man's arms in Sam's bed for the first time. the first of many times.  Eventually, the bed became their bed. And the nightmares though still happened were few and far between as the two men finally had the man they loved to keep them away and keep them safe.