12 •The birthday pt.2•

I rushed back to my cabin, grabbed a hoodie and rushed back outside.

Her birthday? Is that why she was acting weird today? We unbelievably share our birthdays, that's cool. What am I even thinking? I really am an idiot.

I looked at the little box the admin gave me, and that's how the idea kicked in. I hadn't been able to give her the phone because I didn't find the right time, but maybe I can give it to her as a present? Maybe she'll decline it because she hates me? I guess I'll find out.

I went back in and took the box with the phone and came back outside, now walking towards her cabin. It wasn't late yet, so she wouldn't be sleeping.

After a 10 minute walk uphill, I got to her cabin, there was a light on. I silently rehearsed several times how to knock, what to say, how to apologize, how to give her the phone. Nothing was coming well, so I took at least 5 more minutes standing there doing nothing.

I decided I'd just let things flow, so I raised my fist to knock.

"Are you going to knock or...?" I heard from the window, startling and almost drop everything.

"How long have you been there?" I sighed

"Long enough."

"Why didn't you open, then?"

"You looked amazingly dumb, it was fun"

"Did I make you laugh at least?"

She didn't answer that, and actually turned off the light.

"Hayul?"

....

"Hey, are you there?"

....

"I guess you're still mad at me" I raised my voice on purpose. "Well, you always tell me to come to you when I'm feeling sad, so I'll stay here untill you come to me."

Still no response, but I made sure she listened. I turned around and sat over the edge of the stairs, with the admin's box and mine on each hand.

The evening eventually came, it was starting to get darker. I've been sitting here for at least an hour now, doing nothing. What am I even trying to do? I don't like her enough... do I?

I could be comfortably sitting on the couch having a hot drink, but no, I chose to be here to talk to her. I stood back up and knocked again, but of course, she didn't reply.

"Okay, since you're not opening the door, I'll just talk." I started, raising again my voice so she could hear me.

"Listen, I don't know what did I do to get you mad, believe me I am really clueless sometimes, but if I did, I am so sorry. It's not... the first time my words hurt someone and I don't think about it enough.

I've faced consequences of it and believe me I am trying really hard to be a better person because of it, so.. I'm sorry if I hurt you somehow Hayul, I really am sorry."

Unsurprisingly, she didn't reply, again.

"I'll leave this here" I sighed, placing the admin's gift on the floor by the door.

Just when I stood back up, I was facing a puffy eyed Hayul in front of me, I almost fell back, seriously.

"You scared me"

"Why are you still here?"

"I... (don't know truthfully) had to give this" I picked up the present and gave it to her. She eyed it and then eyed me again.

"Is this from the admin?"

"How did you know?"

"He's the only one-.. he gives me this every year."