11 •The birthday pt.1•

I heard Hayul knock on my door at 9am o clock exactly. I had already eaten and was just getting ready. Today's not exactly how I pictured my birthday, away from my family, but I can't complain. It's fine to spend a special day differently at least once; and now I think I value even more my friends and family, since I miss them a lot.

"Move your lazy butt Sam! We have to clean the canteen today!" I heard her from outside.

"I'm coming!" I whined.

I haven't been able to give her the phone yet. I've rehearsed like an idiot what to say to her when giving it, but I suck at it, and I can't find an appropriate moment to do so.

"I'm here, I'm here"

"Finally" she said annoyed.

"Someone's grumpy today"

"Hey!" She turned around abruptly and pointed me with her finger, I flinched. "I'm not grumpy!" She growled. I grabbed her finger and moved it side to side, untill she slipped it out of my hand and turned around.

"You sure can be scary when you're angry, Hayul" I chuckled. I actually thought she looked really cute, she's tiny and always smiling, but today she looked tiny and angry. It reminded me of Kkami when he gets mad at me but he's too cute for it.

We got to the canteen and spent the rest of the morning washing and cleaning, moving and arranging tables.

"Should we clean that area too?" I pointed at the inside kitchen, which we've never entered, at least not me.

"I'm not sure. I'd say we ask the admin but he wasn't in the lobby today. He probably went out, so when we finish we can go and check if he's back."

"Sure, sure"

Hayul kept being unusually quiet. She's always talking or saying lame jokes, but today wasn't the case. However, I was too afraid to ask, since she's kind of in a bad humor, it seems.

"What's your favorite color?" I asked.

"Why so suddenly?" She chuckled, for the first time today.

"Just curious."

"Why? Do you like me?"

"I do."

She stopped mopping and looked at me, I could tell she got nervous because of her breathing.

"W-wha-"

"I'm joking" I cleared my throat. She frowned and got back to mopping. What did I even do? What kind of stupid joke is that? Is it really a joke? I don't even know. I thought she'd laugh or scold me, but she didn't, and that made me nervous.

"I'm sorry about the jo-"

"It's yellow"

"Huh?"

"My favorite color, it's yellow"

"O-oh.. yeah yellow is a pretty color"

"What's yours?" She asked.

"Black and white"

She giggled and continued cleaning without saying anything. It looked like she was making fun of me.

"What's so funny?" I pouted.

"Black and white is very You"

"Very me?"

"You know, like, classy, delicate, chic.. I mean I'm not surprised of it."

"I'm not any of that" I complained, "I just think the combination is cool."

"I'm pretty sure you are, city boy"

"I'm not!"

"Even Your dog is black and white"

"He has some beige hair!"

"He's still black and white. And a chihuahua, which is classy. I bet you give him peeled fruit"

"I-" damn, it's true.

"Thought so" she laughed. "Dont worry, that doesn't mean it's something bad. You're still a kind person"

"I'm not kind..."

"Why do you say that?"

"I'm just not."

"I don't think so, I'm sure you're very pure hearted. Why else would you be doing here doing voluntary work instead of comfortably sitting on a couch in your fancy place?"

"It's...complicated"

"Still, stop saying you're not something good, you are"

"Stop saying it"

"I'll stop when you believe it"

"You don't actually know me, and I don't think you will." I chuckled. I waited for her response, but she said nothing more. I stopped cleaning the table and looked at her, and she was just looking at me, frowning, annoyed.

"What?" I shrugged.

"You're an idiot" she placed the mopp over the wall and made her way to the door.

"H-hey, where are you going?" I followed behind.

"We're done for today"

"But it's not even noon"

"Finish with that table and go back to your cabin"

"Hayul! What's wrong?" I got to grab her wrist and stop her, Her eyes were teary and she was angry.

"Hey, why are you crying? Did I say something?"

"Don't mind me, why would you care anyway" she shook off my hand and walked faster. I felt so horribly confused, I didn't know what did I do wrong, wrong enough to make her cry. Maybe she misunderstood what I said?

I finished arranging and cleaning all the tables. I couldn't get Hayul out of my head, I felt really bad, but I didn't know how to approach her. Something was bothering her even before we got to the canteen, but she really misunderstood my words.

As soon as I finished, I went back to my cabin to have lunch. I saw they published my photo and congratulated me for my birthday, and fans left beautiful words and wishes for me. I really miss talking to them.

I talked to my parents for a while, and then with the boys. They were still getting ready for their stage, it was going amazing.

I spent at least two more hours going through socials and reading comments. I felt hurt there was still people hating me, but I guess something like that doesn't easily get forgotten.

Since the noon was pretty, I decided to go for a walk. The sky was painted between yellow and orange, and it was very breezy.

I walked all around the lake, still thinking about her, even more than anything else. I thought of a million ways to explain and apologize, but I just suck a it, and it frustrates me.

Tomorrow we'll have to visit the elders again, so maybe I'll apologize by then. I'm not really sure if I should disturb her now.

After a while, on my way back to my cabin, I saw the admin getting off his car some heavy boxes, so I went to help.

"Oh, young boy, thank you so much!" He said.

"It's no problem" I bowed. "Were you traveling?"

"Ah, I was just visiting my family." He shook. "Did you and Hayul clean the canteen today?"

"yeah, we did earlier today"

"Perfect, thank you so much!" He pushed the last box over the lobby. "Oh, that reminds me!" He went to the passenger seat and took out a small box.

"Can you pass by her cabin and give her this, please? Since I went to the city today, I brought her this little present." He handed me the box.

"Please tell her I'm sorry for being late, and that I wish her a very happy birthday!"

No way.