Petunia And When The Plans Went Wrong

Petunia bit her lip. She mustn't cry. She just mustn't.

Moments before she had seen her eleven-year-old nephew leaving for a magic school with his white owl and a trunk full of potion ingredients and magic textbooks.
She wondered if he had a wand.
Probably yes. Maybe all magical people had one at eleven. Had Lily bought it before going to school? She didn't remember.
What about a broomstick? Lily had always loved broomsticks. One time their parents got her one for Christmas and she kept thanking them for having bought what apparently was a beautiful model called Shooting Light or something.
Petunia secretly had once tried to fly on Lily's broom when she was somewhere with her friend Marlene, but when she was half feet in the air she crashed on the ground, nearly smashing her sister's precious broomstick. From that day she never tried to fly again.

But she was too occupied to hold a grudge when Lily was around, really. Their parents were so proud the day they discovered their daughter was magical, and from that day, no matter what her mother would say, Petunia knew she had passed in the background.

Oh, what she would do to have even a quick look at one of Harry's books.
She would never admit it, of course.
One time Lily had asked her if she wanted to do a potion with her, but Petunia had refused. She was too occupied at showing she was angry with her sister because she was magical. In any case Lily had opened her potions book and Petunia was too curious to not have a look at it.
It was beautiful. It was interesting. It was perfect. There were illustrations and proceedings, and fascinating ingredients Lily had in her potions kit, like strage leaves, dead spiders, fairy wings, toad eyes and squirrel legs.

Oh, how much she missed her sister. She had always been there for her, she had tried to cheer her up - at least until when she turned seventeen and met that Potter boy. But then Petunia was already dating Vernon at the time. She thought she didn't need her sister. She didn't want her.

Petunia was too occupied to hold a grudge when Lily was around to do anything else, really. Their parents were so proud the day they discovered their daughter was magical, and from that day, no matter what her mother would say, Petunia knew she had passed in the background.

Maybe it was true what they said, that you don't fully realize how much you love a person until when she's gone...

Vernon entered in the car again, seeming quite pleased, bursting Petunia out of her thoughts. "Platform nine and three quarters, Platform nine and three quarters the boy said." he smirked and shook his head "Such platform doesn't even exist... Tell me if that lot have brains."

Dudley, in the back of the car, didn't get the nine and three quarters thing, but just grinned quite understanding that what his father had said was some sort of insult directed at Harry.
Petunia wasn't thinking the same though. She tried hard not go blush in anger and quickly turned to look out of the car window.

She knew perfectly well that platform nine and three quarters did exist, in fact, she had been there with Lily when she first leaved for the magic school. She had been so curious to see, well, she still was curious to see.
Petunia herself was surprised of how much she remembered of the Wizarding World, now. When she met Vernon she tried to forget about it plenty of times, but the memories sinked in even deeper.

She was also warried. A lot.

She remembered how much time Lily had spent reassuring her that the solid barrier didn't hurt when you were going through it.
What if Harry didn't figure out how to get onto the platform?
When Lily had taken the train to Hogwarts, Petunia's last chance to follow her was to get on the Hogwarts Express. She didn't care if that Dumbledore man didn't want her at the school. She would have hidden somewhere, surely Lily would have helped, bringing her food or something. They would have figured out a way...
But Petunia didn't get on the beautiful scarlet Hogwarts Express. She didn't even mention her plan to her sister. And Lily left her alone, left her waving stupidly from the magical platform at the train she wanted so badly to be on.
Suddenly a wave of anger went through Petunia.
Se wanted to be magical, too.
She wanted to be special, too.
"Why Lily? Why not me? Why not both?" she thought angrily.

"Petunia dear, you're as red as a mature tomato." her said her mother had said seeing her face.

Petunia's eyes flashed. "I'm alright." she said between gritted teeth, and walked away from the magical hidden platform.

This was how, from September, 1st 1971, Petunia had always been jealous of Lily Evans.

Petunia sometimes feared acting like if she had such a little soul would have ripped it completely off her.

Then Lily had been killed. She died. She had been a very powerful and talented witch, they said.

Oh, how painful it had been to accept her sister's death. How horrible.
She had closed herself in a room with the letter that had the man-she-had-hated-so-much's handwriting on it and cried, and cried, and cried... And it was how the woman she was proved herself wrong. She still had a soul after all.

Petunia shivered at the idea of how Lily's death had been.
Had she been in one of her last thoughts? She would have liked to confirm this to herself more firmly. But she knew she probably hadn't been in one of Lily's last thoughts: why would she?
She had alway said to Lily, even if without words, that Lily was the sister she had never wanted from when she stepped in that train without her.

Then there was Harry, Lily's son. Petunia couldn't have been more proud when they discovered he was magical of course.