xl.

Luna's POV

I was terrified. It all happened in a blur and I could barely recall anything. I wanted my last skate to be the best skate of my life. I didn't want to go down and be remembered as the skater who died for nothing. The skater who died for a lackluster, shitty performance. Absolutely not.  That's why I gave it my all to the point that I can't recall how I did. 

When Yuzuru told me I won gold, my mind just went completely blank. I know for sure I did the best I could but there were some tiny mishaps during my performance that I was aware of that's why I doubted myself. But at the same time, even if he told me I lost, I would still feel proud of myself because I poured my heart and soul into it not only for myself but for the people to appreciate and love the sport. 

The guilt ate me for a bit and I thought that I didn't deserve to win. The other ladies worked their asses off for years longer than I did just to compete in the Olympics and there I was barging in like an unknown intruder. I felt guilty for feeling happy about winning. I was about to drown once again in the abyss of my countless thoughts and start overthinking. But Yuzuru saved me. He made me realize that I shouldn't invalidate myself and that I deserved to be there as much as the others; that I even worked twice as hard and put in twice the amount of effort they. 

Yuzuru always saves me. He always succeeded. For that, I am eternally grateful. But nothing lasts forever. 

"Helloooo? Earth to hime???" I didn't realize I was staring off into space while drinking from my water bottle. 

"Oops. Sorry, Yuzu. What were you saying?" I apologize to the man standing in front of me with his hands on his waist as he just sighs. 

"I was asking if you're feeling okay?" Yuzu asks, pursing his lips.

"Just so you know, it's the 27th time you've asked that today since practice started." I laugh while I place the bottle down on the seat. I walk past him and onto the rink since the practice for the gala resumes in a few minutes.

"Just making sure. Tell me if anything hurts okay then we'll stop, okay? We've practiced enough." I hear Yuzuru say as he trails behind me. 

"You're worrying too much, love. Let's just... let's have fun. With the others. Hm?" I spin around and smile at him softly. Yuzuru's eyes narrowed and he was about to talk but I interrupt him. "Please? One last... just this once?" I immediately stop myself from saying 'one last time' because I know it's going to bring his mood down. Once his mood goes down, everyone's going to notice. I can't afford to do that and ruin everyone's day just because of me. Yuzuru's like the sunshine at every gala practice. 

Unfortunately, I failed. I saw how his eyes shook but he regains his composure, pretending not to have heard what I was about to say. Right here and now, I want to falter and cry. My heart clenched as he did his best to smile at me despite the pain. I know he's hurting because of me. I look up at the ceiling and close my eyes, trying to prevent the tears from falling.  

"All right, if you say so. You're the boss." I hear Yuzu say making me look at him. He's standing straight and saluting at me. "Got that right, Mr. Hanyu. I'm the boss." I smirk at him as I cross my arms over my chest before we burst into fits of laughter. 

And so during the break, we played and fooled around with everyone to the point I forgot the burden I'm carrying on my shoulders. 

"I'm low-key relieved that these two didn't decide to actually compete in Ice Dance." Tessa said to Maia, referring to me and Yuzu. 

"I hear ya. Hey Luna, are you sure this is your first time doing this?" Maia then turned to me.

"Well we skated together once before but it was like, impromptu. But ye-"