4.) Just The Two Of Us (M)

A/N: Had a busy day today, so the update is late! Hopefully this makes up for it ;)

■《》□《》■《》□《》■《》□《》■《》□

1 Week Post Departure

7:49 PM, First Class Dining Hall

"I need you on tables 7, 12, and 15. The others are covered for the rest of dinner service."

You courteously nod to your coworker and watch as they rush off, clearly piled high with responsibilities. They're from the lower class batch of employees, just like you -- that's probably why they're so busy. The most elite workers -- that is, those with ties to wealthy passengers or the captain -- are able to bend the rules more so than others. Their punishments are lax in comparison, and most of them take the opportunity to mingle with passengers they fancy while on the clock.

You resent them for it, of course, but you've long since come to terms with the imbalance of power.

So, given this, it's really no surprise when you spot Kun Gwan, one of the wealthiest workers on the ship, laughing loudly with a group of men and women across the room. Initially you make peace with the fact that you won't have to converse with him, but after counting the tables to pinpoint where each of your assigned ones are, you come to find that he's sitting smack dab in the center of table 15.

You internally groan at that, sincerely wishing you had any other job right now. Kun is a snobby know it all, and the prospect of being at his beck and call for the better part of two hours is less than thrilling.

Regardless, you know you have to suck it up; releasing a heavy sigh, you plaster on the best fake smile you can manage and make your way over to their table.

You reach into your apron pocket to fetch your pen and pad as you launch into the speech you've been practicing for the past minute or so: "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. May I get you started with something to drink?"

When you lift your head to make eye contact with the guests, your grip on your pen tightens immediately, almost crushing the delicate writing utensil.

Seated right beside Kun is none other than Jennie, looking breathtaking in a floral skirt and lilac shirt to match. A beat passes before she locks eyes with you, but when she does you swear the room gets a little brighter.

"I'll take a coffee," a man's gruff voice says from beside you, getting your attention. You look down at him and scribble the word onto your pad before going around the rest of the table. You make sure to note any sweeteners or creams that they request, knowing full well how embarrassing it is to be chastised by people of their class. The last thing you want to do is mess something up at the get-go.

"And for you?" You raise a brow, allowing a soft smile to rest on your lips as you wait for Jennie's reply. You saved the best for last.

She mirrors your expression as she says, "Just a tea, please. One sugar cube and a dash of cream."

"Right away." You bow to them and give their order to the worker in charge of beverages before heading back out to the dining room to give the same treatment to your other tables.

----

Now back at Jennie's table, you pass out everyone's drinks. When only hers is left, you stand behind her and lean to the side, carefully placing the cup on an empty spot of the table cloth. As you retract your hand, you subtly brush it against her arm.

Though the action could be mistaken for an accident, Jennie knows better; the feeling of your touch lingers as you return to your original spot at the head of the table. You smirk when you see her blink a few times, getting her mind back on track.