Yiayia just sighed and looked at me.  “Pavlo, you can’t pin the blame on me.  Why don’t you just admit of your feelings for her and ask for another chance?”  She looked at the time and drank her wine.  “Gentlemen, I have to go.  Nicholas, talk to your son.”  The high and mighty eagle went out of the lair.  I was left with a gentlemen who proclaimed to be my father.

“So,” he started to say.  “Are you planning to patch things up with her?”  I looked at him with no clue of what am I going to do.

“What happened with Georgina?”  I just looked at him and ignore his attempt to make a conversation.

“Son, I know I haven’t been a good father to you.  Maybe you were thinking your mom and I do not love you.  But I do,”  I looked at him and doubted the sincerity in his eyes.

“I am busy, dad.”  I stood up.

“Just hear me out.”

I returned to my seat.

“Wine?”  he  asked.  I nodded.  He stood up to go for the mini bar in my yiayia’s study room.  He got two goblets and our favorite Courvoisier. He poured on the glasses, gave one to me and sat behind the table.

“I had a talk with her last month.  It was a heart-to-heart talk between a father-in-law and daughter-in-law.  I wanted to know if she a gold digger who wanted to get hold on our riches,” he said as he sipped his wine.

“She is different.  She dresses simply, doesn’t wear jewelry or make up—or any kinds of pretentions.  She did not tell why she married you.  But one thing I know, you are lucky to have that kind of woman love you.”

“Don’t make the same mistakes I did.  I had that kind of woman loved me many years ago, but I was too stupid to ignore it.  When I finally realized I love her, she hated my guts and found her own happy ever after.”

I sipped my wine.  “You do not understand,” I began to say.  “We had an agreement.”  I told him the blow by blow of our agreement until she betrayed me by being pregnant.”

“What did she say?”

“She said she didn’t plan it, that it was an accident.”  I drank my wine, looked at my glass as I put it on the table.  “Then she left me after I said all the hurtful things I told her.”  I looked at him and gave a mocking grin.  “Who am I kidding?  I am like you.  I do not have the staying power.”

He sighed, refilled our glasses with wine.  “We are exactly the same.  That was my reaction when your mother told me she was pregnant with you.”  He drank his wine.  “But I messed it up when I did not ask for another chance.”  He stared at me.

“What?”  I asked.

“What are your feelings for her?”  I looked at him and then stared at my glass.  “I don’t know.  I miss her, miss having her by my side.”