The Birthday Take 1

"You what!" I choke on asparagus and have to remind myself not to cuss in front of the piggy banks.

"We've chosen a date for your birthday party." Emily says between sips of wine.

"And when exactly is this 'party'?" Rory calmly says as I clench my toes in frustration.

"The 8th."

"The 8th. As in the day they came out of me!" Mom holds her fork up in frustration, her mouth hanging to the floor.

"Lorelai watch your tongue!" Richard snaps.

"Well that's their birthday isn't it? So why would we not hold a party the day of?"

"Why would you not make plans for us on our day. As if we wouldn't have made plans already." I cross my hands on the table a subtle twitch of my head and pinch of my lips to show annoyance.

"What plans would you have made anyway." She sets down her glass with a thud.

"Mom!"

"Lorelai!"

Rory sits back in her chair and turns her head to meet mine. "Here we go again."

—————————————

Walking through the halls students stare and point. "Rory did you finally cut my hair in my sleep like you always threatened?"

"Did you cut a hole in my skirt?" She swallows hard and holds her folders tighter to her chest.

We spilt up as we go to our lockers. Hers on the other side of the hallway. I put my lunch Luke provided away and grab my textbook. I reach for another as two large and veiny hands grab the first out of my arms.

"Woah let me take that princess." I don't need to look up to know it's Tristan so I keep grabbing the books I need before shutting the locker door.

"What's with the princess, rich boy?" I met his eyes as he leans against the wall.

"Well I don't know you tell me?" He smirks

"Maybe all the extra attention people are giving my today is because I have a tiara on." I gasp, "I totally forgot! Oh and silly me I still have my ballgown and glass slippers on too!" I say looking down at my uniform.

"Hey save the formal wear for your party." He pushes him self off the wall and pulls a thick white card stock piece from his back pocket, the type with imprinted detailing and lace cutouts on the trim.

I grab it from his hands almost dropping my algebra book on the tile "Where did you get this!" I can feel my checks getting red as I read down the paper.

You are formally invited to the sixteenth birthday of Rory and Victoria Gilmore.

October 8th

"Your grandparents must have sent them out. I think the whole grade got one." He takes it back and starts to walk down the hallway.

"Your kidding right? I don't even want to go to this thing let alone go with the whole grade." I catch up with him as we turn the corner.

"Well I'll be there at least. I'll be the one in the tux and you'll be the one in white I presume?" He hands my books in front of him before we reach the classroom.

I grab them from his hands staring into his eyes. "In your dreams Dugrey." I whisper and walk into the room.

———————————