"Excuse me. I don't understand what you're telling me. That isn't what Carson Mr. Crawford told me when we spoke on the phone."

"Yes, of course, that's not what he told you, but that's what's happening," she says, confusing me further.

"Can you please explain what's going on?"

"As much as I'd love to, I have a meeting. Once it's over, the CEO will answer all your questions."

"Alright, thank you. How long will I have to wait?"

"I don't know. An hour or two."

"An hour or two? That's a long time. Do you have someone else who can help me?" I shouldn't have to wait that long to know what's happening.

"I'm sorry, we don't have anyone. So it's either you wait or say goodbye to your job," she says sternly.

"Wow. Okay, I'll wait."

I don't understand why she's being so terse with me. Carson told me he got me a job at his grandson's office and that I'd be his grandson's new secretary, so I don't understand the confusion since I arrived. I'll just have to wait until the meeting is over.

After two hours, I realize she wasn't kidding. I'm finally able to meet the CEO, and I'm a little nervous. This is the first time I'm going to see him in person. I've seen tons of pictures Carson showed me, but pictures are never the same as real life. I knock on the door of his office and wait.

"Come in," a deep voice says from inside. I say a little prayer, then turn the doorknob and step inside.

Inside, I find him behind his desk, patiently waiting for me to approach. As I walk closer, I take in his features. His hair is black with some gray mixed. If I didn't already know his age, I'd think he was a man in his 50s who got a bad dye job but still looks young. Carson told me his grandson is 37, so I know he's not as old as his hair implies. Once I'm in front of his desk, I can see his face. His eyebrows are full, black, and shaped perfectly. His eyes are hazel brown and look like a pool of caramel. He has beautiful eyes. His nose is straight and a little pointed, but not too much. His lips are peach-colored and not too big, but not too small.

"Miss Brown, please take your seat," the younger Mr. Crawford says, gesturing to a chair in front of his desk.

I was so busy admiring him I didn't get a look at the beautiful interior of his office. The walls are painted white except for a brown accent behind his desk. It's a nice mixture of colors.

"Thank you, sir," I say, taking a seat on one of the white chairs in front of his desk.

"I'll try my best to make this quick and not waste our time," he says, placing a document in front of me. "This is a contract stating you'll leave my grandfather and me alone. I'll pay you enough to make sure you don't break the contract."

I sit in shock at his words. What in God's name is happening today? I was so excited to start working, but everyone's telling me I don't have a job since I stepped into this building. Now I'm being offered money not to work?