A story about the sun

This morning you put his picture in your bag. You never know. If you meet him today, you will give it back and you'll never see him again. All these weird feeling would fade away, right? This dream too? A headache began to set in.

It was almost 6:00 a.m. and you had just realized that you didn't need to get up early anymore since you lost your job. To drop your sister off, all you had to do was get up at 6:30. Your mother was already in the kitchen, as always. You walked out, indicating that you would be back in a short while. You certainly had a few minutes left before the sun was fully up. So, you decided to go outside.

His house was the first one after the main road that separated your two neighborhoods, so close and yet so distinct. Without crossing it you see it in the distance. Illuminated by a room upstairs. Was it him? His room? You had just convinced yourself that you had to stop this kind of endless relationship and yet you only wanted him to open his curtains and smile at you from where he was. It must have been his parents' room; he had no reason to get up early. You lowered your head, admitting defeat. You couldn't get him out of your mind. He had managed to infiltrate your thoughts to the point that it was now too difficult to chase him away. How had he done it?

The first rays of sunlight tickled your back with a soft warmth. The rays were reflected in the water of the creek that ran alongside your town, passing under the main road, allowing the houses of the privileged neighborhood to have access to it from the bottom of their garden. You closed your eyes for a few moments, the sun's caresses did you so much good. "It always rises here before it sets there." Everything will be fine, you thought, I have time to find a solution for my lost job, I'll get back on my feet.

You turned your back and headed back to your house, not seeing that the curtain of his house was drawn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertholdt had been awake for a short time. Automatically, for some years now, he had been waking up to watch the sunrise and sunset. He was always there. At the same time his best friend, the sun helped him to remember, but also his worst enemy to make him understand that he would never come back.

When he was young, Bertholdt would see his father leave early in the morning and return in the evening shortly before sunset. "When it rises, I may not be there, but when it sets you and I will watch it together, okay Bert?" his father would tell him so that Bertholdt, still very young, would go back to sleep without worry, his father would never abandon him.

Every day, Bertholdt saw the sun rise through his curtains, heard the front door slam and went back to sleep. When he came home from school, he would go into the kitchen to get some cookies, work, and when the sun was about to set, he would sit on the porch of the house to wait for his father, who came back every day, and drink a beer. The sun would set, caressing their skin with soft rays, lighting up the neighborhood, with the echoes of their laughter animating the street.

Yet that day, Bertholdt was 13 years old, when the sun set, his father never returned.

"Work accident" his company had announced to his mother. Since then, Bertholdt couldn't help but wake up at sunrise, waiting to hear the door slam, but never making itself heard.

That day he saw you standing at the corner of his window, which was terrifying because he could tell from that distance that it was you and no one else. He wanted to open his window, to shout your name, it was not the fact that he still didn't know your name that prevented him from doing so, but the sight in front of him. You illuminated by the dozens of rays. Shining with a thousand fires.