Chapter 36: Movie Nights

Start from the beginning

At the end of the night, a whole bowl of chips and some other snacks were gone. The second movie ended way past Maya's bedtime, so Natasha didn't give her time to discuss the ending or talk to Yelena any more before shooing her upstairs very quickly. Maya protested, but when a yawn interrupted her words, she gave in and disappeared upstairs after letting Yelena promise to come say goodnight.

''She likes you,'' Katya said when Natasha went upstairs to check on Maya and tug her in.

Yelena smiled tiredly from her spot on the couch, looking up from her phone. ''She's adorable,'' she agreed, as if that wasn't clear yet. ''How much does she know?''

''About us?'' Katya questioned, getting a nod in return. She shifted in her seat, tugging her feet under her body, pulling an uncertain face. ''Not sure. She's smart, so she undoubtedly figured stuff out herself. She hears things in school, sees things on the internet. But we never hide stuff from her. If she wants to know, all she has to do is ask.''

Yelena hummed before chuckling. ''I don't know how you do it. It's not like we had a good example.''

''That's true,'' Katya laughed. ''But we do know what not to do. And trust me, we're just doing something most of the time, too.''

''Well, then you're doing something right.''

''Not always. She hit a kid in school a couple weeks ago.'' Katya tried to stay serious, but she couldn't help but chuckle. Seriously, she shouldn't be proud of it, and violence was never a good thing - says the ex-assassin - but it was funny in hindsight. Not that she'd ever say that to Maya. 

Yelena laughed a bit harder than needed. ''Yeah, she's feisty, isn't she? Like Nat.''

''Those two... you have no idea,'' Katya smiled, a warm feeling swirling in her chest. Her eyes were probably shaped like hearts now. Maya had come into her life first, but found a connection with Natasha she could only have hoped for. And no, she could never ever be jealous of that, because that was plain stupid. The only thing she could be is ecstatic.

Natasha sauntered into the living room, plopping down on the same spot on the couch. Yelena wasn't the only one exhausted. ''She's in.''

Katya stood from her armchair, stretching her body because it was stiff after four hours in the same position. ''Right. You coming?'' She looked at Yelena, who startled, having forgotten about her earlier promise.

''What do I do?'' she muttered on the stairs, too embarrassed to ask it in Natasha's or Maya's presence.

Katya smiled over her shoulder. ''You just say goodnight to her. No forehead kisses necessary unless you want to.''

Maya lay in bed, covers pulled up to her chin, eyes strictly focused on the door. When she saw Katya walk in, Yelena on her heels, her eyes lit up. Yeah, she was the biggest fan of Yelena already.

Katya knew Maya wanted to talk to her aunt mostly, so she gave her a quick kiss on her head, told her goodnight and left them to it. She didn't want to eavesdrop, but her feet stopped on their own on the stairs, and through the small gap of the door, she saw how Yelena sat down on the edge of the bed, insecure but ready to fulfill her duties as a friend.

''So, what did you think of the movies?'' Maya asked curiously, and a smile shot across Katya's features. Her kid was so adorable.

''Hm, they weren't too bad. I don't understand why she uses a bow, though. A gun is so much easier,'' Yelena genuinely answered, undoubtedly furrowing her eyebrows. Katya could only see her back.

Maya giggled at Yelena's seriousness. ''She's poor. She can't afford a gun or bullets.''

''Still, a bow isn't practical in battle.''