Chapter 19 - Flight of the Atophi

Start from the beginning

As the group approached the southern mountains, the water current picked up slightly which—as Keszen put it—worked to their advantage as it allowed them to cover more ground in less time.

It wasn't long before they had arrived at the southern-most end of the river and beached their skiffs upon the shores of the mountains.

"We will leave the skiffs here...for the ride home," said Keszen.

Jolis—tried as he may—was unable to see the future clearly enough to give himself the affirmation he needed to agree with Keszen's comment.

"We will take the remaining trek on foot," Keszen added. "Our dragons await us among the salt plains on the other side."

A few murmurs of disbelief could be heard amongst the group as they set off towards the mountains.

Jolis walked with a quick pace in an effort to catch up to Keszen who was continuing to lead the group up front.

"Tell me about your son, Keszen," he asked.

Without slowing down, Keszen replied, "His name is Kazcek. He was about the same age as you were when we met at the Council long ago, possibly a little younger. A fine warrior, very skilled with a sword. Even in his young age, he would often cause me to take a step back during our sparring matches. He was to be the heir to the Maligi throne, until he was taken; while I was away at the Council summons at that."

"Do you believe we will get him back?"

"I do not believe in anything, Jolis. There is only what is and what is not. Everything else is a distraction in my eyes. Plus, he could very well be on one of the other ships and not on the command vessel we are headed to. Regardless, I will not stop looking until I either find him or I perish.

"Now if you don't mind, Opachi," he added, "I would very much like to take the remaining journey in..."

Stopping suddenly, Keszen looked up to notice the Pass of Suola standing before them.

"Your legacy serves us well, Suola," he said while placing his hand on his heart.

Although not a direct path by any means, the pass would allow the group to avoid going over the full height of the mountain and instead, take a small and often extremely narrow pass which wound its way through the rock.

Even so, it took the group several hours to traverse the pass. By the time they had worked their way through, the sun was high in the sky indicting that it was around midday.

"We are making good timing," said Jolis. "The journey has been long, though. Do your men need time to rest?"

Turning around and walking backwards to face his warriors, Keszen asked aloud.

"Do we Maligi grow weary?!"

"Matono!" the 25 warriors shouted in unison.

"Do we Maligi grow weak?"

"MATONO!"

"Do we Maligi grow fearful?"

"Mato..."

The group trailed off in its moral-boosting efforts as something ahead caught their eyes.