Chapter 20: Faith

Kong POV

Four hours later, I told the rest of the mystery Freaks about Pete's death, P'Kath's back story, and Arthit's abduction with a monotone voice. We headed to Kao's room who was still sulking over his bed.

"How can we survive this without Pete or P'Arthit?" Kao asked.

I exhaled as I looked down at the Hellbreaker leaning on the wall. "I don't know. But we have to try. We cannot let their sacrifices go to waste."

"We won't waste it." Tine said. Kao glanced at him. "Pete's my friend too."

"He's my best friend." P'Khai added.

"He's not coming back." Kao said weakly, hugging the pillow closer to his cheek.

"Why do we act like he's dead?" P'Khai asked me, absolutely he was in denial. He was trying now to make this one of his humor, but he miserably failed. "He's not dead right? We can resurrect him. So stop acting like shit and get on with—"

"Khai!" Third scowled. "Can't you see? Necromancy is dangerous! You know what happened to—" his teary eyes traveled to me. "To Kong. You wouldn't want that to happen to Pete. "

P'Khai was shut silent. Tine was wiping his own tears as he sat on the edge of the bed. We continued sulking for at least two minutes.

Sarawat and Third were staring outside the window as Faeries, some Dark hunters were at the field. Gathered for the impending war while the legionnaire demons and vampires were out the wards, guarding off unsuspected darklings and Trae's demons. I've heard that P'Tum was the lead of another unit. 

My fear spiked up that the city will be in danger. Well, in fact, they already are. 

"How many people should die and must be sacrificed..." Kao began to say as he flickered his eyes on me. The hopeless tone in his voice caused me to have goosebumps running down my arms. "Before we can win?"

"We have to put faith in ourselves, Kao." I said. Even I was uncertain if we would win. "Like they did to us."

"Hey guys." Sarawat said, getting our attention. The six of us moved towards the window, and more wizards from other towns had entered the field. And on stage, P'Tum was standing behind the podium. "Tum's speech is about to start."

Arthit POV

Why am I always the one getting kidnapped? I thought as Pytro tied me in the seat and he went away somewhere in the building without talking to me. Stupid Hellgod.

Surprisingly their hideout wasn't so clever. Or this was just their new location since we were facing the headquarters two blocks away. Someone entered the room, and a shadow loomed over my head.

"Arthit Rodgers" Trae said. "Where is the Celestial Gem?"

"I won't tell you where." I replied.

"There's only one way you could." Trae smirked. Then with a swift knock of his fist into my chest. I screamed excruciatingly. My whole body seemed to have huge electric shocks. Tugging the Celestial gem out of my body, I gasped for air. "That was easy."

"How did you know?" I asked as I still struggle to breathe.

"You planted a fake Celestial gem in the university when you left." said Trae. "That was a clever diversion. You almost had me." He gave a harsh chuckle. "What happens when the clever Arthit Rodgers runs out of ideas?"

Trae backed away from me.  I watched in horror as the three gems floated between us. The merging will cause inevitable chaos. The gems wrapped around his forearms at first, and they disappeared inside his body.

"You know why Kong hates you..." I began.

Trae blinked in surprise. "What did you say?"

"I said" I let out a mock snort. "Why your little brother hates you?"

He didn't answer.

"Because you're evil. And that evil wouldn't have been born if you made the right choice. If after Kath's death, you didn't go stealing books, making deals with the devil, going on a rampage, and controlling your brother who loves you. Oh, correction, loved you."

Bitterness flashed across his face. "This is my destiny."

"Destiny, my ass!" I said. "Too bad, you proceeded to be a hellgod without even trying to live up to your full potential."

"What?"

"You didn't go from sophomore to senior, right?" I went on. "Damn, overpowered wizards must be promoted quickly."

Then a punch was hurled across my face. I spit the blood on the floor, my hair damps with sweat, falling over my eyes. I looked up at him with a cruel smile, leveling his own dark side. 
Trae leaned back against the window, eyeing the street and me, with weariness. "I supposed you're going to kill me now?"

"That would be too fast, Arthit." Trae said in an amused tone. "The party hasn't begun yet. Once Pytro is done with the machine that would open the portals, this world will not stand against demons. I might be their ally at first. But I will eliminate them when reality is rewritten."