Chapter 5

~Violet's POV~
The guards grab my arms and bring me back to all the other "subjects". I can barely walk. I now enter the room where I last was. The guards throw me to the ground. I feel a lump coming up my throat. I start coughing, then I spit something out on the ground. Blood.

"Violet! What did you do to her! Are you okay?!" Klaus yells while trying to break free from his restraints. "Settle down boy! You see this. This is what happens when anyone of you disobeys us. You get the red barn." Brenner says while pointing at me. The guards lift me by my arms.

They then shove me on the bed next to Klaus and restrain me. I noticed the guards swarming over to a guy in the last bed. I see that it's the guy from the flight. The guy who could speak English. I was so curious as to what happened that I didn't even hear Klaus talking to me.

"Hello! Violet are you okay?" "What happened to that guy?" I said ignoring his question. "He just started screaming. Like he was in pain. I don't understand what happened to be honest. But please answer my question. Are you okay?" "I'm okay. I mean I could be better, but I'm fine" Klaus smiles but then his smile turns into a frown.

"I'm sorry for getting us into this mess Vi. This is all my fault. I should have listened to you." "Klaus this isn't your fault. The voice in your head just told you the wrong thing". "That's the thing though, what normal person has voices in their head? Also who listens to them?". "You know Klaus, the voice in my head was telling me not to trust Brenner and to run away from him. If I listened to that voice we could have been safe." Klaus nods guiltily. "This doesn't make any sense though! Why are we having these voices? Why did they tell us something different? Lastly, why are we being tested on?" "I have no idea Klaus. All I know is that we have to find a way to get out of here."

~Cal's POV~
After the whole situation happened, my parents took me to the hospital. The doctor, Sannvi said that I was okay. Deep down I knew I wasn't okay. I'm currently in my room thinking about Violet. What was happening to her? Why was I feeling her pain? How could I tell anyone about this? People might think I'm crazy. I need to stop thinking about this.

I go to the living room to find Olive's iPad. She gave it to me because she already has a phone. I start playing that game everyone's talking about, Fortnite. After 10 minutes of playing, I came to an agreement that this is my new favourite game.

I see my dad come into the room. "Hey dad, you have to check out Fortnite! It's so cool" "Sounds like fun," he says while talking to my mom in the kitchen.

"Hey bud-" my dad starts but he stops. He looked like he was in a trance. "Hey dad, everything okay?" He walked over to me. "Do you ever feel like someone is controlling your life?" He asks. "Yeah, all the time. You, mom and my doctors." He looked at me concerned at first then he looked at me with relief. "How about this, let's flip a coin to decide what we do today. Leave it up to chance?" "Cool!" My dad smiles. "Alright, heads we go to Coney Island or tails we stay home" he flips the coin and it lands on heads. "Awesome," I say.

~Violet's POV~
As I lie down in my bed, I began to wonder what they're going to do to us. I was about to ask Klaus this but I heard  Brenner announce something. "Alright, we are now going to begin the first trial of our testing." First trial? What the heck does that mean? How many trails are there? My thinking stops when I hear him say "put it on level one." Everyone starts lightly groaning in pain. I don't feel anything. I feel completely fine. I look over at Klaus and he seems to be fine. "Do you feel anything?" He whispers. "No, Do you?"  "No" "Why aren't we feeling anything?" "I don't know" "Well we should pretend like it's hurting us, so they don't get suspicious" "Smart". With that Klaus and I began groaning lightly in pain like the others. Why aren't we feeling the pain? Maybe it's because we're young?

~Cal's POV~
Dad and I made it to Coney Island safely. Once we got there, we started to flip the coin to see what we were going to do. We flipped the coin to decide what ride we should go on first. The coin landed on tails. That means we're going on the "Wonder Wheel"

Half an hour later, my dad and I are walking through the park. I'm eating cotton candy and he's eating popcorn. "Masters" both yell. "What is cotton candy?" I ask my dad "You know what? That's a very good question. I have no idea" he answers. We both laugh. He looked toward the basketball game. "Wanna shoot some hoops?" He asks. "Sure why not" I respond.

A couple of minutes into the game I start missing every shot. "I suck at this" I complain. "Everybody does, it's impossible. LeBron couldn't even sink a shot." He says trying to make me feel better. He looks off into the distance. "You wanna master your destiny?" I nod. "Well come on," he says walking away from the basketball game.

Dad took me to the "Whac-A-Mole" game. I'm way better at playing this than basketball. "Way better," I say. "It always is during the day." The prize bell rings. "Yeah!" We both cheer. I pick a prize. I chose the tie-dye monkey. "Let's flip for lunch. Heads, Nathan's. Tails, pizza." He flips the coin. It lands on tails again. "Pizza!" We both shout in excitement.

«───── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ─────»
Thank you guys for all the reads and votes on my book! I really appreciate it and it means a lot!

I love each and every single one of you and I hope you have a beautiful day <3

-Shanya