Chapter One

En

“What would it be?” I asked the dark haired woman at the bar stool.  She smiled at me after she took in a deep breath.

“Do you know the first person in here that is AB negative?” She spoke slowly with the inviting  smile. Getting hit by a wave of Glamour, I continued to smile ignoring the nausea.

“We only serve Tru Blood, but there's a Menu down the bar at the end for the feeders.” I said looking at her wishing she would go away. My wish was granted as she sighed and rolled her eyes at me sauntering down to the end of bar where Philip was their ready to take her order. I never really had many vampires accept my offer of Tru Blood. And when they use Glamour I’m especially fond of it.

“Don’t mind Isabel. She’s upset when she has to attend a meeting before her...‘morning’ meal.” A male voice spoke. The accent was unable to place to my knowledge which I have come to learn over a year at working in the Carmilla Hotel bar usually indicated that the person in question would be a vampire.

“Yeah well, Phillip still just gets better tips. But he’s selling real blood at a vampire hotel, and I’m selling Synthetic. So if you’re here for a feeder, go see Philip, if not what will it be?” I said sarcasm dripping about the tips. Turning my attention to the speaker Not realizing that he was looking straight at me. Usually vampires don’t look at me at all. This startled me a little.

“Are you old enough to drink?” I asked looking at his height and facial structure. He couldn’t be more than 18 if that.

“Are you old enough to serve?” He replied with a hint of sarcasm. Somehow I knew that one was coming. Being 5’2”, and facial structure of a 12 year old, its hard for people to believe that I‘m old enough to do a lot of things.

“I turned 19 last year. “ Pulling my ID out of my back pocket handing it to him. “You only have to be 18 to serve alcohol and Tru Blood.” I said.  He examined the license in his hands as the local slut feeder came up to the bar and gave me a dirty look.  

“Hello shortie, can I please get a rum and Coke?”  She said staring down at me.  

“Are you going off duty? You know feeders aren’t supposed to have booze in their systems unless given to them by the client.”  I said not moving a muscle. Huffing at me she turned her attention to the vampire who was still very interested in my ID.  

“Hey doll, I have a rare blood type.  AB negative in fact.  I will do anything you want if you would buy me a rum and coke.”  She battered her eyes at him.  

“Your services are not needed and I would prefer my feeders sober.  Alcohol leaves a bad taste in the blood.” He said not moving a muscle to turn to her.  The only thing he did was look back at me.  A slight smile on his lips. Stacey rolled her eyes at him and made her way down to the one the man in front of me called Isabel.  

“So what will it be?” I asked plucking my licenses from his hands.  My fingertips brushed the tip of his hands. Smiling he picked up the drink menu.

“What exactly is this drink?” Pointing to a drink located under the Tru Blood mixings.

“That is your type of Tru Blood, mixed with Coke a Cola , and Cherry Juice, with a tint of your type of Liquor if you want some mixed in with your Tru Blood... Oh and a complementary Umbrella. ” I said smiling as I leaned over the counter reading off the mixings menu.  He tilted the menu better for me to see. Leaning back up straight I smiled at him, hoping it didn’t sound too disgusting.  

“Well, may I try it with A negative and Vodka.”

“Of course you can Sir, you're one of the few vampires now a days that actually order from this menu, mostly they just walk on down the bar.”

“Is that why you're so talkative?” The gentlemen said as he watched me make his drink.

“Well one of the reasons, I’m usually just this talkative anyway. I’ve never had this, but I’ve made it a couple of times. So I hope you enjoy.” I poured the True Blood in and went to warm it up. He stared at me as I turned around to wait for it to warm up. It was slow, because it was the beginning of the night so the usual crowd were still waking up.

“I haven’t seen you around here, are you staying the night? Its still pretty earlier for Vampires to be really wondering about.” But before he could answer, or even if he was going to answer, I was interrupted.

Beep; Beep; Beep;

The sound of the Microwave startled me, I had almost forgotten why he was here in
the first place. I started to mix all the ingredients together.

“Do you have to learn more than people used to before True Blood came out?” He asked, as I finished the drink off with one of the Black and Red umbrellas.

“Just more measurements. The customers really decides what goes in it. So its pretty easy. A few of the old bartenders in town hated it, because they had to go back to school.” I said giggling at some of the memories.

“I assume that they are funny when upset.” He said swirling the umbrella in the drink.

“Only when their drunk. Which old bartenders tend to be always drunk.  Are you not even going to try it at least?” I asked smiling at him.

“Will you have a sip with me?” He asked, I could tell his Glamor was coming on. It was stronger than the Brunettes, but it wasn’t as nauseating.

“I’m working, and Glamor doesn’t work. In fact it kind of makes me sick.” I said leaning over towards him.  He seemed to have turned off the Galmor because I didn’t feel like vomiting all over him.

“Yes, and if you don’t stop flirting with customers then you will find yourself neck deep in the feeders job. Pun Intended.” Philip said coming over and looking at my handiwork of a drink.

“Well they do get paid better.” I said shrugging my shoulders at him. “And I only have to wait for my replacement for the next shift to come in.  She is late.”

“Oh yeah I heard about her. Wasn’t she a feeder or something before this?”

“I don’t care. But I believe thats her coming  so go ask her. I’m leaving. Enjoy your drink sir.” I said looking into his eyes with a smile. Waving at the new girl I left the hotel and headed for alley way out back. It was the quickest way to my apartment and since the new girl was late, I now had to walk through it at night. I quickly placed my key in between my right ring finger and middle finger. An old trick I learned when I went bartending school. Not sure if the key is made out of silver but I guess if push comes to shove I’ll find out.

A man walked by with a black dress shirt and hair slicked back with what seemed to be grease. Its either this guy needs a shower, or he’s starring in a bad remake of the Grease movie. Too bad for me he has a friend with him. He looks more like something out of the 1920’s. I know its not Halloween yet.

‘Vampires’. The word rang through my mind because there was no way someone from this century would be caught dead in that suit.

“Hey baby doll, you looking for some fun?” The one with grease coming out of his yin-yang asked. Ignoring him I kept my head down low. His southern accent was hard to miss. “Oh Jay, I think we have a feisty one on our hands.” He spoke again. The one he called Jay grabbed my arm and his hold was Iron tight. I swung my right arm around and almost hit him with my key, but the Grease head grabbed my hand before. Squeezing my hand till the key dropped.

“She is mighty feisty…” Jay said as he grabbed me around my waist. My futile attempts to get away were in vain. Nothing was working.

“Let go of me.” I snapped slapping Jay across the face. It only hurt my hand. Didn’t seem to do much but make him pissed off.

“Georg, hold her still, I think this bitch needs a lesson in how she treats her elders.” Georg put me in a headlock.

“Get off of me you grease ball!” I yelled as he squeezed me so my left side of my neck was open. Jay ripped my work t-shirt away so that my top was destroyed. He snapped my bar strap so that it was unable to wear again and his fangs shot out. Right when the tip of his fangs hit my shoulder, I felt the hold of Georg had on me vanish and looked up to see a hand wrapped around Jay’s throat.

“Retract, your, fangs.” I heard the voice that belonged to the hand say on my left side. Each word had its own emphasis on it. “now.” he commanded. My attackers fangs shot back into his mouth.

“Sheriff …I…I can explain, me and Jay were just having a little fun with the girl, She liked what we were doing. Honest.” Georg started to stutter out.

“Did I say you could speak?” ‘sheriff’ said to them.

“Sir, I did not know that she was yours. I would have never touched her, if I would have known.” Jay spurted out.  The hand on his throat grew tighter.

“You're in no predicament to speak either. She seems to be missing a piece of clothing. That is strange.  When she left she had on a shirt.  Sophia, did you want to have a good time with them?” He wasn’t even looking at me.  He was staring at Jay, who was trying hard not the panic.  

“No.” I whispered softly.

“Bitch. You were asking for it!” Georg yelled at me. Godric threw Jay at Georg sending them both into the side of a building.

“Its not nice to force yourself on a lady. Or talk like that to a lady. From what I heard her speak, she was not ‘asking for it’ using your terms. I believe that you were going to rape her and suck her dry. there are feeders in the hotel. I want you two be gone from my area by three days time. Then never come back. You understand?” They both nodded their heads and used their speed to go inside the hotel. He turned towards me with a smile. I was trying to keep my bar up so my one breast wouldn’t come falling out. Godric went over and found my work shirt and held it up to see it literally staying together by threads. He took off his white shirt he was wearing and gave it me.  I took it reluctantly, while not trying to stare at his chest.

“I didn’t think the drink would be that good.” I was the first to speak. He chuckled at my statement.

“May I walk you home?” I nodded. Then started to look around for my house key.

“Dammit, where is it?”

“You lost your key?” He asked looking at me on my hands and knees. trying to pull back garbage.

“Seems like it.”

“Then you may stay with me. I’m staying in the city tonight in the Hotel. You are welcome to accompany me. “ He spoke looking at me. His glamour was on a little. I chuckled at that.

“You’ve already saved me tonight. You don’t need to offer up your room as well. And can you quit it was the Glamour its not going to work.” I replied back to his offer.  Smiling at my last sentence.

“But I insist. You need someplace safe to sleep tonight, and my hotel room will be the safest.”

“Fine, but only on four conditions.”

“Name your terms.” He said smiling at me down at me. His height was grand compared to mine.

“Condition number one: What is the name of my Rescuer? Or is it really sheriff?”

“My name is Godric.  Sheriff is just a title I own among the Vampires her in Dallas.”  

“ Godric...I like it.  Okay, condition two, you tell me how you know my name.”  He was smiling down at me now.

“Phillip told me.” he said without hesitating.

“Of course he did. Okay well, Condition number three: no biting me. I’m not one of those fangbangers that just want the thrill of being bitten.”

“I promise, my fangs will not sink into your skin.”

“Good, and condition number three: you have to tell me how the drink I made was.” I said smiling at him. He looked down at me and pulled out the red and black umbrella that was in his drink. Placing it in behind my ear.

“It was perfect.” He said. “Now that that’s settled why don’t I take you up to the room, you're probably terribly tired.” He put out his hand and I took it.

As we made our way into the elevator, we had a couple of stares at us, but when they saw Godric, they quickly looked away. Philip ran behind out of the bar and followed us into the elevator, along with Isobel, I believe Godric said her name was.

“Godric, what’s going on? You ran out so suddenly.”

“Soph, Darling, what happened to you?” Phillip said with his high pitched Texas draw.

“I was attacked. He saved me. And I also lost my key.” I said. Phillip grabbed me hugging me into his arms.

“Godric-”

“The meeting was the only thing I had to do today that was important no?” He asked her.

“Yes Sir, but-”

“Then we will be in my corridors. Do not disturb unless it is in dire circumstances. Good night Isabel. Philip.” Godric said as he grabbed my hand and the elevator opened up. I followed him back to his room, never letting go of his hand. The window was covered by the steel mesh of a blind. He went over to raise the sheet up.

“Isn’t your day just starting?” I asked, walking over to the bed and sitting down. His back was to me and I noticed that he had a giant Tattoo on his back in the shape of a sea serpent. On his right shoulder blade he had a circle branded into his skin. His arms both were circled with some sort of symbols around it.

“I do not mind.” He spoke turning back around to me. I realized that I was still wearing his shirt. I quickly proceeded to take it off. I handed it to him but he seemed to not want it.

“You would need something to sleep in tonight.” He said. Smiling. I nodded, turning around so my back was to him. Releasing myself from the bar I would have to throw away, I put his shirt back on. I slipped the shirt back on and took off my shorts. I turned back to inspect my bar.

“Men, they have know idea how much bars cost now a days.” I mumbled under my breath looking at the shredded strap that was completely destroyed. Looking at the cup of the bar, I felt the pain in my neck and the complete utter strain of the muscles pulling me, that I couldn’t fight. The feeling of the Jay dragging my bar strap up until it snapped. My breath caught in my throat as I imagined the tip of the fangs coming in contact with my skin. Suddenly soft fingertips were on the exact spot of my neck were fangs would have been earlier. Hiccupping in a sob , I suppressed it as it was crawling up my throat.

“What are you thinking?” He asked as he trailed his fingertips down my shoulder. The light touch sent shock waves run down my spine.

“What they would have done, if you hadn’t come.” I said whispering. I knew he would hear me.

“Are you scared of me?” His question startled me. I turned around in his arms to find his face looking down at me. We were inches apart. Placing my hands on his face making him look at me.

“I could never be scared of you. I’m not a type of girl to be scared of Vampires because a couple of rotten ones ruined it.” I said honestly. I continued to talk though I wished I would just shut up. “I heard stories about you. They say that your ruthless, that you can’t stand humans. That you wish that we were all dead, and all we are good for is blood. I don’t believe that. But why do you care what happens to me?”

“I’ve noticed you before. This wasn’t the first time either. Once I was in the diner hall with a AB Negative feeder, who is very rare, and  you had cut your finger on a broken glass. The smell took me right away from the drink I was having to you. Looking at you laughing at yourself because you mistakenly cut yourself, astonished me. Another time I laid eyes on you was when a vampire and their pet were fighting at the bar over the vampire wanting to use a feeder, you stepped up for the vampire in her need. And when you asked me what I wanted to drink, you didn’t judge the others that went to the feeders, you joked about the lousy tips. To me that is a work of wonder. You surprised me after 2000 years on this planet. That human kindness did still exist.” He said smiling. I hadn’t noticed but he started to walk me back to the bed.

“2000 years?” I asked astonished. “I thought you guys kill each other?” My knees hit the side of the bed, making them buckle so that I was sitting.  

“I was lonely for most of the years...” he said smiling down at me as he slowly leaned me down so I was on my back.

“I do have to say you really don’t need glamour do you?” I said as he leaned over me placing his arms next to my head. I could feel his one knee pry my legs open.  As he leaned in his pressure seemed to be placed everywhere but me.

“Not at all.” He said bending his head down. His lips were just brushing against mine when the door flew open. Isabel stood there looking down at us. Godric was standing up in a instance with me still on the bed. I hadn’t realized how fast vampires moved until Godric had her pinned against a door.

“Didn’t I say I didn’t want to be disturbed?” He growled at her.

“I know sir, but there's three humans wishing to see you, they say theyre from the Fellowship of the Sun.” She said. Letting her throat go he turned back to me and placed a kiss on top of my head. “Please wait here. I won’t be long.” Godric said looking at me. I nodded my head and curled up under the bed sheet covers. He handed me the remote and I proceeded to watch TV till he got back.